How Do You Calculate the Uncertainty in Kinetic Energy?

In summary: You can't add apples and oranges.In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of kinetic energy for an object of mass m = 2.3 ± 0.1 kg and speed v = 1.25 ± 0.03 m/s, using the equation K = (1/2)mv2. The uncertainty in K was also considered, with the formula Δz = |z| (Δx/x + Δy/y) for multiplication and Δz = n(xn-1)Δx for power being referenced. However, it was determined that the simplified formula Δk = k(0.1/2.30 + 0.075/1.25) was not accurate, and
bysons

Homework Statement

An object of mass m = 2.3 ± 0.1 kg is moving at a speed of v = 1.25 ± 0.03 m/s.
Calculate the kinetic energy (K =(1/2)mv2) of the object. What is the uncertainty
in K?

Homework Equations

Δz = |z| ( Δx/x + Δy/y ) - Multiplication

Δz = n (xn-1) Δx - Power

The Attempt at a Solution

k=1/2 mv2

(power)
Δv = 2(1.25)1(0.03)
=0.075

(multiplication)
Δk = k(1/2) (0.1/2.30 + 0.075/1.25)
=0.09

1.80 ± 0.09 kg*m2/s2

Just wondering if this is correct or if I have gone about this wrong. I'm I correct in multiplying K by 1/2 in the last step?

Physics news on Phys.org
bysons said:
Δv = 2(1.25)1(0.03)
=0.075
More accurately, that's Δ(v2).
(multiplication)
Δk = k(1/2) (0.1/2.30 + 0.075/1.25)
How do you justify the inclusion of the factor 1/2? I don't see that in the equations you quoted. Let's say we replace the 1/2 with an unknown, a:
k = a m v2
Δk/k = Δa/a + Δm/m + Δ(v2)/(v2)
Knowing that a = 1/2, no error, what would you write for Δa?

Okay I did the work right though I just wrote delta V instead of delta v^2?

1/2 is just a constant in the kinetic energy formula. I just treat it as something still being multiplied?

bysons said:
Okay I did the work right though I just wrote delta V instead of delta v^2?
Yes.
1/2 is just a constant in the kinetic energy formula. I just treat it as something still being multiplied?
No. Think about what I wrote before. 1/2 is a precisely known constant. If z = xy and x is precisely known, what do you get for Δz/z?

Δz/z = Δy/y ?

bysons said:
Δz/z = Δy/y ?
Quite so. Note that x has disappeared. In the present context, x represents the factor 1/2.

I guess they're not teaching standard deviation error propagation any more these days? because those formulas are substantially different from the "simplified" ones given by the OP.

A good basic treatment is at http://www.rit.edu/~w-uphysi/uncertainties/Uncertaintiespart2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
rude man said:
I guess they're not teaching standard deviation error propagation any more these days? because those formulas are substantially different from the "simplified" ones given by the OP.

A good basic treatment is at http://www.rit.edu/~w-uphysi/uncertainties/Uncertaintiespart2.html
SDE propagation is not necessarily appropriate.
The link you posted isn't bad, but it fails to consider a few things.
1. What it classes as random errors includes some which are repeatable. If I measure a length to the nearest mm by eye, I cannot really judge the fractions of mm, so if the actual length is 19.294... mm it doesn't matter how often I measure it I will get 19mm. So the error has a flat distribution of ±0.5mm. This complicates SDE analysis a little. (The link mentions 'least count' but does not properly consider the consequences.)
2. If two engineering parts have specs of ±1mm, and the design requires that their sum must be under some value, the engineer will quite rightly calculate the total uncertainty at 2mm. If the plane falls out of the sky she can't blame it on a statistical fluke.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do worst-case design as opposed to std deviation, in most cases you'd be out of business in a hurry.

Yet in certain situations like aircraft safety, yes, you need to do wcd.

Relevant equations

Δz = |z| ( Δx/x + Δy/y)

Δz = n (xn-1) Δx

k=1/2 mv2 k = 1.796875

Δ(v2) = 0.075

Δk = k(0.1/2.30 + 0.075/1.25)

= 1.8 ( 0.103) = 0.186

= 1.8 ± 0.186 J

Is this correct?

Blake_ap1 said:
0.075/1.25)
That term seems to represent Δ(v2)/v. Did you mean that?

haruspex said:
That term seems to represent Δ(v2)/v. Did you mean that?
Yes

Blake_ap1 said:
Yes
That would be dimensionally wrong. You are adding it to a dimensionless term, Δm/m.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Uncertainty in Kinetic Energy?

1. What is uncertainty of kinetic energy?

Uncertainty of kinetic energy refers to the variation or margin of error in the measurement of an object's kinetic energy. It is a measure of the range of possible values for the kinetic energy of an object, taking into account any errors or limitations in the measurement process.

2. How is uncertainty of kinetic energy calculated?

The uncertainty of kinetic energy is calculated using the formula: ΔKE = 0.5 x m x (Δv)^2, where ΔKE is the uncertainty of kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and Δv is the uncertainty in the object's velocity.

3. What factors can contribute to uncertainty of kinetic energy?

Several factors can contribute to the uncertainty of kinetic energy, including errors in measurement instruments, variations in the object's velocity, and limitations in the measurement process such as human error or environmental factors.

4. How does uncertainty of kinetic energy affect scientific experiments?

The uncertainty of kinetic energy can have a significant impact on the accuracy and reliability of scientific experiments, as it can introduce errors and variations in the results. Scientists must take into account and minimize this uncertainty to ensure the validity of their findings.

5. Can uncertainty of kinetic energy be reduced?

While uncertainty of kinetic energy cannot be completely eliminated, it can be reduced through careful and precise measurement techniques, using more accurate instruments, and minimizing any potential sources of error. The more precise the measurement, the lower the uncertainty of kinetic energy will be.