Calculating Kinetic Energy Uncertainty

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of kinetic energy for an object with a given mass and speed. The uncertainty in the kinetic energy is also brought up and a formula is suggested for calculating it. However, there is some disagreement about the appropriate formula to use and the definition of uncertainty in this context. It is suggested to consider the extreme values for energy based on the given ranges for mass and velocity.
jgray

Homework Statement

An object of mass m = 2.3±0.1 kg is moving at a speed of v = 1.25±0.03 m/s. Calculate the kinetic energy (K = 1 mv2) of the object. What is the uncertainty
in K?

Homework Equations

k=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have figured out that the kinetic energy is 1.8 J, but how do I figure out the level of uncertainty for this question? We do not use derivatives yet.
Can I take the equation for uncertainty of a power and uncertainy of a constant and add them together? :
change in z= k change in x
=1/2 * 0.1kg

change in z= nx ^n-1 * change in x
=2 * 1.25 ^2-1 * 0.03

then add them together to give an uncertainty of + or - 0.125?

Physics news on Phys.org
When multiplying/dividing uncertainties, you just add the ratios in quadrature. But in my opinion it is easiest to just do
σ[itex]_{k}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] = (∂[itex]_{k}[/itex]/∂[itex]_{m}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] * σ[itex]_{m}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] + (∂[itex]_{k}[/itex]/∂[itex]_{v}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] * σ[itex]_{v}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]
when you learn uncertainties a little more in depth, I think you will find it is much easier to use that with larger expressions.

Last edited:
sorry I don't really know what that means though

Panphobia said:
When multiplying/dividing uncertainties, you just add the ratios in quadrature. But in my opinion it is easiest to just do
σ[itex]_{k}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] = (∂[itex]_{k}[/itex]/∂[itex]_{m}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] * σ[itex]_{m}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] + (∂[itex]_{k}[/itex]/∂[itex]_{v}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] * σ[itex]_{v}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]
when you learn uncertainties a little more in depth, I think you will find it is much easier to use that with larger expressions.
That's fine when uncertainties are given in terms of standard deviations. It might not be appropriate when given in terms of ±.
If the lengths of two components to be manufactured have specs of ±1mm, and they are to be joined end to end, then the uncertainty in the total length is ±2mm. An engineer relying on the total uncertainty being only ±√2mm would soon be out of a job.
A key issue is what is the definition of 'uncertainty' here. If it means standard deviation then you first have to convert the ± data to a standard deviation, and for that you need to know the distribution of the error. In particular, consider the case of measurements taken by eye against a graduated scale. The measurer will round to the nearest unit on the scale. The error therefore has a uniform distribution, ± half the scale unit size. The sum of two such measurements has a different distribution.
jgray, unless you have been taught to use Panphobia's formula for such questions, I suggest just considering the extreme values for the energy that can arise from the ranges of possible values for mass and velocity.

Related to Calculating Kinetic Energy Uncertainty

1. What is uncertainty and why is it important in scientific calculations?

Uncertainty refers to the degree of inaccuracy or lack of precision in a measurement or calculation. It is important in scientific calculations because it quantifies the range of possible values for a given measurement, allowing for a more accurate and reliable analysis of data.

2. How is uncertainty calculated?

Uncertainty is typically calculated by determining the range of values within which the true value of a measurement is likely to fall. This can be done through statistical analysis, considering factors such as the precision of instruments and the variability of data.

3. How does uncertainty affect the validity of scientific results?

Uncertainty can have a significant impact on the validity of scientific results. If the uncertainty is too large, it can lead to inaccurate or unreliable conclusions. It is important for scientists to properly account for uncertainty in their calculations in order to ensure the validity of their results.

4. Are there different types of uncertainty?

Yes, there are different types of uncertainty. Some common types include random uncertainty, which is caused by natural fluctuations in measurements, and systematic uncertainty, which is caused by consistent errors in measurements due to factors such as faulty equipment or human error.

5. How can scientists minimize uncertainty in their calculations?

There are several ways that scientists can minimize uncertainty in their calculations. This includes using high-precision instruments, conducting multiple trials, and carefully controlling experimental conditions. Additionally, properly documenting and reporting the uncertainty in their results can also help minimize its impact on the overall analysis.