How Do You Calculate the Force Constant of a Copper Wire Using Young's Modulus?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding the force constant for a length of copper wire. The person asking for help is struggling to understand how to approach the problem and is looking for guidance. Another person suggests using dimensional analysis and offers a possible solution. The original person expresses gratitude for the help and states that they are now on track to solve the problem.
dazza67

Homework Statement

Help I have spent a couple of days on this one and I am lost...

What would the force constant be for a 75.0 cm length of 16-gauge (dia=1.291mm) copper wire? Y copper=11x10^10 Pa
The answer being in Nm.
The problem is I don’t even know where or how to approach this problem as when I have looked at hookes law and Young’s I fail to see how to fit this problem into the equations. I will accept lack of understanding, fatigue, or just plain stupidity on my behalf. If someone could spare the time to step me through it, i don't need this solved, just the steps so I can solve it myself. I would be grateful thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically 8 pages of incomprehensible gibberish

Physics news on Phys.org
I just answered that same question about steel. The units of Y are N/m^2. The force constant k is N/m. Let the cross sectional area be A and the length L. A REALLY good guess would be k=Y*A/L. Wouldn't it? Think dimensional analysis. Confirm it by looking it up or applying physical intuition.

Sloved--- yeh

Dick thanks for your help. The big issue I found is to change every thing into base units and work in scientific notation, a big part of my problem, how ever your gental push in the right direction has me now on track Big thanks

Related to How Do You Calculate the Force Constant of a Copper Wire Using Young's Modulus?

What is Young's Modulus and why is it important?

Young's Modulus is a measure of the stiffness of a material and is also known as the elastic modulus. It is used to determine the amount of stress a material can undergo before it permanently deforms. It is an important property to consider when designing structures or materials that will be subjected to external forces.

How is Young's Modulus calculated?

To calculate Young's Modulus, you need to know the stress and strain of a material. Stress is the force applied to a material, while strain is the resulting deformation. Young's Modulus is calculated by dividing the stress by the strain, giving you a unit of pressure (Pascal).

What factors affect Young's Modulus?

The main factors that affect Young's Modulus are the type of material, its composition and structure, and the temperature at which it is being tested. Different materials have different elastic properties, and these can also change with changes in temperature. The way a material is made, such as its density and level of impurities, can also influence its Young's Modulus.

What are some real-life applications of Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is used in various industries, such as construction, engineering, and materials science. It is used to design and test materials for bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also essential in the automotive industry for designing and testing car parts. Additionally, Young's Modulus is used in the medical field for designing prosthetics and orthopedic devices.

How can Young's Modulus be changed or improved?

The elastic properties of a material can be improved by altering its composition and structure. For example, adding reinforcing fibers or changing the crystal structure of a material can increase its Young's Modulus. Additionally, the use of heat treatments or other techniques can also change the elastic properties of a material, making it more suitable for certain applications.