How Does Young's Modulus Affect the Elongation of Composite Rods?

In summary, the elongation of a rod under a tension of 3140 N can be determined by solving for the change in length for each material separately. The radius of the rod must be converted to cm and the final answer must also be in cm. The total change in length can be found by adding the individual changes in length for aluminum and copper. The Young's modulus for each material is needed, as well as the original length and area. Adding the Young's moduli will not work and each material must be solved for separately.
notsam

Homework Statement

The radius of a rod is 0.146 cm, the length
of aluminum part is 1.2 m and of the copper
part is 2.76 m. The rods are connected. Determine the elongation of the rod if it is
under a tension of 3140 N. Young’s modulus
for aluminum is 7 × 1010 Pa and for copper
1.1 × 1011 Pa .
Answer in units of cm.

Homework Equations

E= F*Lo/Ao*Lc
E= Young's modulus
F= Force
Lo= Original length
Ao=Area
Lc= Change in length

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I have the Young's Modulus for each piece of the complete rod. Those plug into "E", 3140 is my force, ect. The only unknown is the change in length, also the only thing that I have to convert to start working the problem is the radius and then my final awnser back to cm which is the units the final awnser must be in. Ok so my thinking is that even though it is a SINGLE rod with two diffrent parts you must solve each part seperatly. Soo I solve for the Aluminum side and find its change in length, and then do another equation with the Copper. After solving for each Lc I can then add them together to find the total change in length. OR is it because there is a single force acting on the whole system I have to have a single equation with the Young's modulus
numbers added together "E total", then also add the total lengths up "Lo total", and the total area of "Ao total" Aluminum and Copper?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first approach will work much better. (Imagine a rod of stiff steel end-to-end with a rod of compliant rubber and you'll see that adding the Young's moduli won't work at all.)

Related to How Does Young's Modulus Affect the Elongation of Composite Rods?

What is Young's modulus on a rod?

Young's modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It is the ratio of stress to strain on a material, and specifically for a rod, it represents how much the rod will stretch or compress under a given force.

How is Young's modulus calculated on a rod?

To calculate Young's modulus on a rod, you need to measure the stress and strain on the rod. Stress is the force applied to the rod divided by the cross-sectional area of the rod. Strain is the change in length divided by the original length of the rod. Then, Young's modulus is calculated by dividing stress by strain.

What factors can affect Young's modulus on a rod?

The factors that can affect Young's modulus on a rod include the type of material the rod is made of, the temperature of the material, and any external forces or stresses applied to the rod. Additionally, the shape and size of the rod can also play a role in determining its Young's modulus.

Why is Young's modulus important for understanding a material's behavior?

Young's modulus is important because it allows us to predict how a material will behave under different types of stress. It helps us understand the strength and stiffness of a material and how it will respond to forces and loads. This information is crucial for designing and engineering structures and products.

How is Young's modulus used in real-world applications?

Young's modulus is used in various real-world applications, such as construction, aerospace, and engineering. It is used to design and test materials for buildings, bridges, and other structures, as well as for manufacturing products like cars, airplanes, and electronics. Understanding Young's modulus allows engineers to select the most suitable materials for a specific application and ensure the safety and reliability of their designs.