How Do You Calculate the Cross Product for Torque in a Physics Problem?

• Thread starter whynot314
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a math problem involving vectors. They are specifically trying to find the answer for part a, which is 84sinθ. They first convert inches to feet and then set up the vector for the wrench. However, they are stuck on finding the force vector and realize they made a mistake in their calculation. With the correct vector for OA and F, they are able to find the correct answer.
whynot314
I just need help on 39 part a.
The answer to part a is 84sinθ
I first converted inches into feet.
I know how to set up the vector for the wrench which is simply OA= [itex]\frac{3\sqrt{3}}{4}[/itex]i+[itex]\frac{3}{4}[/itex]j
now as for the force vector I am kind of stuck because I know that Fsinθ is the only component to the force to cause rotation about O. so for F I get 0i and -56sinθ, when I do the cross product i get 42[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]sinθ. I know i have the force part wrong I just can't see it.

[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/nebula-314/media/20130514_192552_zpsd6a49a82.jpg.html][PLAIN]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o745/nebula-314/20130514_192552_zpsd6a49a82.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]
20130514_192628_zps1dc1e90a.jpg
"]
20130514_192628_zps1dc1e90a.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You can evaluate | OA x F| as this is equal to

|OA x F| = |OA|*|F|*sinθ

Otherwise, I think you may have made a mistake in the vector for OA.

Yup that worked, with my OA.

I really wanted to know how to set up the cross product on this one, but that worked.

Thanks,

whynot314 said:
Yup that worked, with my OA.

I really wanted to know how to set up the cross product on this one, but that worked.

Thanks,

In that case, the reason you did not get the 84sinθ was due to the fact that you resolved your vectors in different directions (meaning that you used different coordinates).

As the diagram was |OA| = 1.5 ft and your unit vector would have been (sinθi+cosθj). Multiplying these two would have given your vector OA

Your vector F would have simply been F=-56j

Related to How Do You Calculate the Cross Product for Torque in a Physics Problem?

1. What does the "39" represent in "39: 84sinθ"?

The "39" represents the first part of the problem, which is the angle measurement in degrees. It is important to include this value when solving for θ.

2. How do I solve for θ in "39: 84sinθ"?

To solve for θ, you will need to use trigonometric functions and basic algebra. First, identify which trigonometric function is involved (sine, cosine, tangent, etc.). Then, rearrange the equation to isolate θ on one side. Finally, use the inverse trigonometric function to solve for θ.

3. What is the significance of "84sinθ" in the problem?

The "84sinθ" represents the other known values in the problem, such as the hypotenuse and the angle measurement. It is important to use this value in conjunction with the angle measurement in order to solve for θ.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve "39: 84sinθ"?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this problem. Make sure your calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians) and that you are using the correct trigonometric functions.

5. What is the purpose of solving "39: 84sinθ"?

The purpose of solving this problem is to find the value of θ, which represents an angle measurement. This angle measurement can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating forces or distances in a physics problem.