How Do You Calculate Tension in a Wire When a Model Airplane Flies in a Circle?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the tension in a control wire of a model airplane flying in a horizontal circle with a speed of 35.0 m/s and an angle of 20.0° with the horizontal. The forces involved are the pull of the control wire, gravitational force, and aerodynamic lift. The steps involved include finding the centripetal acceleration, summing the forces, and solving for the tension. The final formula suggests that the tension would be the same if the airplane flew in a circle inclined at 20° to the horizontal.
integra2k20
Model Airplane Question - centripetal acceleration and summing forces

A model airplane of mass 0.760 kg flies in a horizontal circle at the end of a 58.0 m control wire, with a speed of 35.0 m/s. Compute the tension in the wire if it makes a constant angle of 20.0° with the horizontal. The forces exerted on the airplane are the pull of the control wire, the gravitational force, and aerodynamic lift, which acts at 20.0° inward from the vertical as shown in Figure P6.71.

OK, I've been working on this one for 20 minutes and i have no idea. last question left on my problem set.

I found the centripetal acceleration by finding the radius of the circle in which the plane flies--since it flies on an angle on the string, i found this to be 54.40 m (NOT the 58m from the question--is this right?) my centripetal Acceleration was 22.47m/s^2

Next i summed the forces, got
SUM(Fr)=> Ac = Fsin(theta)+Tcos(theta)
SUM(Fy)=> Tsin(theta)+W=Fcos(theta)

from here i solved the 2nd equation for "F" and pluged it into the first, solved for t. I got 18.56, which is wrong. Any ideas? I am sure i missed some thing small, thanks for the help!

Attachments

• p6-69.gif
    p6-69.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,261
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fc = Tcos20 + Flsin20

mg = -Tsin20 + Flcos20 with Fl = life, surely?

I don't think you have to solve for Fl, just calculate Fc then get Fl in terms of T and just solve for T.

Do you know what the answer should be?

Sorry - edited after looking more closely at picture...

rsk said:
Fc = Tcos20 + Flsin20

I don't think you have to solve for Fl, just calculate Fc then get Fl in terms of T and just solve for T.

that is effectively what i did. i got Fl in terms of T and plugged it in, had the same equations you did. no, don't know what the answer should be, it is an online webassign assignment which you get 5 chances to get the right answer. i have 3 wrong so far

rsk said:
Fc = Tcos20 + Flsin20

is Fc the same as centripetal acceleration? v^2/r?

You wrote:

SUM(Fr)=> Ac = Fsin(theta)+Tcos(theta)

while you probably ment

SUM(Fr)=> Fc = Fsin(theta)+Tcos(theta)

where

[tex]F_C = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

I did follow the same procedure as you but got a different answer.
Best you show all the steps so that we can comment on your work.

What is very interesting about my final formula - just before calculating the tension in the string - is that this formula suggest that if the airplane flew in a circle inclined at [tex]20^o[/tex] to the horizontal (in the plane of the direction of the sting, that is if the hobbyist stood on a platform and let it fly in a plane inclined at twenty degrees w.r.t. the horizontal in stead of a horizontal plane as in the problem) with the same speed the tension (when the airplane is at the top of this inclined plane- at point B) would be exactly the same as the case is with the stated problem you are trying to solve.

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension in a Wire When a Model Airplane Flies in a Circle?

What is a model airplane?

A model airplane is a small replica of a real airplane, typically made from lightweight materials such as plastic or balsa wood. They are often used for recreational purposes or for educational and scientific purposes.

What is the purpose of building a model airplane?

The purpose of building a model airplane can vary, but it is often used for recreational purposes such as flying and displaying, or for educational and scientific purposes such as understanding aerodynamics and engineering principles.

What are the different types of model airplanes?

There are many different types of model airplanes, including static display models, free-flight models, control line models, and radio-controlled models. They can also be categorized by the type of aircraft they represent, such as commercial airplanes, military planes, or gliders.

How are model airplanes made?

Model airplanes are typically made by assembling pre-cut pieces of lightweight materials, such as plastic, balsa wood, or foam. Some models may also require painting and detailing to achieve a more realistic appearance. More advanced model makers may choose to design and build their own models from scratch using various materials and techniques.

Are model airplanes safe to fly?

When flown responsibly and in appropriate areas, model airplanes are generally safe to fly. However, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations, such as not flying near airports or in restricted airspace, and keeping the model within sight at all times. Additionally, proper training and supervision is recommended for beginners to ensure safe flying practices.