Model Airplane: Tension/Circular Motion/Lift

In summary, a model airplane with a mass of 0.710 kg is flying in a horizontal circle at a speed of 35.0 m/s at the end of a 63.0 m control wire. The tension in the wire can be calculated by considering the forces exerted on the airplane, including the pull of the control wire, the gravitational force, and the aerodynamic lift. With the given angle of 20.0° and using equations for net force and radial acceleration, the tension in the wire can be calculated to be 14.69 N. However, without knowing the force of aerodynamic lift, the vertical and horizontal components of tension cannot be determined.
phy221

Homework Statement

A model airplane of mass 0.710 kg flies in a horizontal circle at the end of a 63.0 m control wire, with a speed of 35.0 m/s. Compute the tension in the wire if it makes a constant angle of 20.0° with the horizontal. The forces exerted on the airplane are the pull of the control wire, the gravitational force, and aerodynamic lift, which acts at 20.0° inward from the vertical as shown in the figure.

p6-69.gif

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

a(radial) = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

m = .710kg
v(horizontal) = 35m/s
mg = 6.958N
r = 63cos20 = 59.20m
a(radial) = (35^2)/59.20 = 20.69m/s^2
F(radial) = .710(20.69) = 14.6899 = 14.69N
F(vertical) = mg + Ty - Flift(y-component) = 6.958 + Tsin20 - Flift*sin20
F(horizontal) = F(radial)+ Tx = 14.69 + Tcos20

At this point I don't know how to use the lift to calculate the vertical force, and otherwise cannot find the tension components.

My book does not include any examples of this kind of problem, and the only match I found referred me back here to an unanswered post.

Attachments

• p6-69.gif
    p6-69.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,131
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi phy221! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

You don't know Flift, so taking horizontal and vertical components of F = ma won't help much

try some other direction for F = ma :smile:

Related to Model Airplane: Tension/Circular Motion/Lift

1. What is tension in a model airplane?

Tension in a model airplane refers to the force that is applied to the airplane's structure, usually through the use of strings or wires. This force helps to keep the airplane's components in place and maintain its shape during flight.

2. How does circular motion affect a model airplane?

Circular motion is an important aspect of flight for model airplanes. It refers to the airplane's ability to turn and change direction while in the air. This is achieved through the use of control surfaces, such as ailerons, elevators, and rudder, which create different amounts of lift on each side of the airplane to cause it to turn.

3. What is lift in a model airplane?

Lift is the force that keeps a model airplane in the air. It is generated by the wings of the airplane as air flows over and under them. The shape and angle of the wings play a crucial role in creating lift, and it is what allows the airplane to stay aloft.

4. How can I increase the lift of my model airplane?

There are several ways to increase lift in a model airplane. One way is to increase the angle of attack of the wings, which means tilting them upwards to create more lift. Another way is to increase the speed of the airplane, as faster-moving air over the wings can create more lift. Additionally, modifying the shape and size of the wings can also increase lift.

5. What factors affect the tension, circular motion, and lift of a model airplane?

The tension, circular motion, and lift of a model airplane can be affected by a variety of factors. Some of the key factors include the shape and size of the wings, the weight and balance of the airplane, the power and speed of the motor, and the design and construction of the airplane's structure. Additionally, external factors such as wind and weather conditions can also impact these aspects of flight.