Circular motion, string and ball in a horizontal circle

In summary, a mass of 0.15 kg is attached to a massless string and rotates at a constant speed of 4 m/s in a horizontal circle of radius 2 m. The tension in the string is determined by calculating the centripetal acceleration and using the formula v^2/r = a. However, since the mass is moving in a horizontal circle, there is no extra tension due to gravity. Therefore, the tension in the string is simply 0.8(0.15) = 1.2 N. However, if the mass is hanging and rotating horizontally in the air, the angle between the string and the vertical cannot be assumed to be 45 degrees. In this case, a right angle triangle
Kennedy
A mass m = 0.15 kg is attached to a massless string and rotates at constant speed v = 4 m/s in a horizontal circle of radius 2 m. The tension T (in N) in the string is: (a) 1.1 (b) 1.9 (c) 2.4 (d) 3.3 (e) 4.9

I would assume that first I calculate the centripetal acceleration by using v^2/r = a. That gives me 0.8 m/s^2. Since the mass is moving in a horizontal circle, there should be no extra tension at the bottom due to the force of gravity, so I would assume that the tension in the string is simply 0.8(0.15) which is 1.2 N, but my answer key tells me that the answer is 1.9 N, which doesn't make any sense to me. Can someone guide me through this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a vector diagram.

A.T. said:
Draw a vector diagram.
Okay, but I don't understand still. There are no other forces acting on the mass other than the centripetal force. Am I wrong?

A couple of hints:

Check your arithmetic!

You may have assumed that the mass is on a horizontal table, but perhaps it's hanging and rotating horizontally in the air.

The question doesn't seem to explicitly say which it is. But, i would assume it's not on a table.

PeroK said:
A couple of hints:

Check your arithmetic!

You may have assumed that the mass is on a horizontal table, but perhaps it's hanging and rotating horizontally in the air.

The question doesn't seem to explicitly say which it is. But, i would assume it's not on a table.
So, would it be correct to say that a portion of the force is due to gravity? How do I know what angle is between the string and the vertical? is it assumed to be 45 degrees?

Kennedy said:
So, would it be correct to say that a portion of the force is due to gravity? How do I know what angle is between the string and the vertical? is it assumed to be 45 degrees?
Yes, gravity is involved.

You can't assume the angle. You'll have to use an unknown angle, ##\theta## say, and try to eliminate it from your equations.

Okay, I think I understand. I have a right angle triangle where the hypotenuse is the tension in the string, one side is the force due to gravity (0.15*9.8) and the other is my centripetal force (1.2N). Then using simple math I can solve for the tension. Thank you!

Likes sophiecentaur and PeroK
Nice going! Now I don't have to finish my post, which was going to try to lead you to what you just did. :biggrin:

Kennedy said:
Okay, I think I understand. I have a right angle triangle where the hypotenuse is the tension in the string, one side is the force due to gravity (0.15*9.8) and the other is my centripetal force (1.2N). Then using simple math I can solve for the tension. Thank you!
It's easy when you realize that the support is not in the same plane as the circular path of the ball. :smile:

Tension in x-plane = mv^2/r = 1.2N
Tension in y-plane = mg = 1.47N
So, to find the magnitude of tension on the spring we = squareroot(1.2^2 + 1.47^2) = 1.897N ~ 1.9N

Or if you want to be hardcore by finding the angle and using that angle to solve for tension do this:
Tan(angle)= v^2/g*r = 39.2
T = mg/cos(Angle) (0.15)(9.8)/cos(39.2) ~ 1.9N

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. The object's velocity is constantly changing, as it is always changing direction.

2. What is the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's circular motion.

3. How does the radius of the circle affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

The radius of the circle and the speed of the object are inversely proportional. This means that as the radius increases, the speed decreases, and vice versa.

4. Can an object in circular motion have a constant speed and changing velocity?

Yes, an object in circular motion can have a constant speed but changing velocity. This is because the object is constantly changing direction, so its velocity is always changing despite the constant speed.

5. How does the tension in a string change in circular motion?

The tension in a string changes as the object moves along the circular path. The tension is highest at the top of the circle where the object is moving against gravity, and lowest at the bottom where the object is moving with gravity.