How Do You Calculate Stopping Time and Deceleration for a Grinding Wheel?

In summary, the grinding wheel starts with an angular velocity of 22.0 rad/s and experiences a constant angular acceleration of 26.0 rad/s^2. After 2.30 seconds, the wheel stops with a total angle of 555 radians and an angular acceleration of 0 rad/s^2. To solve for the time it stops and its angular acceleration during deceleration, the equations \omega = \omega _0 + \alpha t and \theta = \theta _0 + \omega _0 t + \frac{1}{2} \alpha t^2 can be used.
quicknote
I'm having problems with parts b and c...

At time t= 0 a grinding wheel has an angular velocity of 22.0 rad/s . It has a constant angular acceleration of 26.0 rad/s^2 until a circuit breaker trips at time t= 2.30 s . From then on, the wheel turns through an angle of 436 rad as it coasts to a stop at constant angular deceleration.

a. Through what total angle did the wheel turn between and the time it stopped?
Express your answer in radians.

[tex]\Delta \Theta = 13t^2 + 22t [/tex] at t=2.3s is 119.4rad
Therefore total angle is 119 + 436 = 555rad

b. At what time does the wheel stop?
Express your answer in seconds.

So I know that [tex] \omega_{f} = 0 [/tex] for the wheel to stop
[tex] \omega_{i} = 22.0 rad/s [/tex]
That's as much as I understand...

c. What was the wheel's angular acceleration as it slowed down?
Express your answer in radians per second per second.

Would I use this equation [tex] \omega_{f} = \omega_{i} + \alpha t [/tex]
and just solve for [tex]\alpha[/tex]?
[tex] \omega_{f} = 0
\omega_{i} = 22.0
t = time solved in part b [\tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
b)
Supposing I understood the problem right (I'm unfamiliar with the term grinding wheel):

The equations for constant acceleration are quite similar to the ones in kinematics.
[tex]\omega = \omega _0 + \alpha t[/tex]
[tex]\theta = \theta _0 + \omega _0 t + \frac{1}{2} \alpha t^2[/tex]
Now with two equations and two unknowns, can you solve for [itex]t[/itex] ?

Yes, you are on the right track. To find the angular acceleration, you can use the equation \omega_{f} = \omega_{i} + \alpha t and solve for \alpha. Since the final angular velocity is 0, you can plug in the values for \omega_{f} and \omega_{i} and solve for \alpha. This will give you the angular acceleration during the deceleration phase of the wheel.

Related to How Do You Calculate Stopping Time and Deceleration for a Grinding Wheel?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It is measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. The formula is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rotation of an object around a fixed axis, while linear velocity refers to the movement of an object in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in angular units (radians or degrees), while linear velocity is measured in linear units (meters per second or feet per second).

4. How does angular velocity affect rotational motion?

Angular velocity plays a crucial role in rotational motion. It determines the speed at which an object rotates and also affects the centrifugal force and centripetal force acting on the object. A change in angular velocity can result in a change in the direction or magnitude of rotational motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of angular velocity?

Angular velocity is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It is essential in designing machines and structures that involve rotational motion, such as engines, turbines, and airplanes. In sports, angular velocity is used to analyze the movements of athletes, such as the rotation of a figure skater or the spin of a basketball shot.