How Do You Calculate Proton Velocity Components in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the question is asking for the values of vx and vy for a proton moving through a magnetic field at a specific time t1, with known velocity and magnetic force. The solution involves using the formula F = qv x B and setting corresponding components equal to each other to solve for vx and vy. The final solution is vx = 20/3 and vy = 2.5 x 10^-18.
frankfjf

Homework Statement

A proton moves through a uniform magnetic field given by B = (10i - 20j +30k)mT. At time t1, the proton has a velocity given by v = vxi + vyj + (2.0km/s)k and the magnetic force on the proton is F = (4.0 x 10^-17N)i + (2.0 x 10^-17N)k. At that instant, what are (a) vx and (b) vy?

Homework Equations

F = qv x B

The Attempt at a Solution

After taking the cross product I get an equation that looks like:

4 x 10^-17Ni + 2 x 10^-17Nj = e(.03vy + 40)i + (20 - .03vx)j - (.02vx - .01vy)k

It's at this point that I blank out. The Student Solutions Manual says that the next step is to equate corresponding components, but what do they mean by this? Set vy to zero then solve for vx and vice versa?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind! I figured it out.

we have F=|q|v*B then according to determinant (matrix.JPG) derive that
q(-40-3vy)i-q(20-3vx)j+q(10vy+20vx)k=F then we get

q(20-3vx)=0 --> vx=20/3
q(10vy+20vx)k=2*10^{-17} --> vy

Has it any problem?

Thanks.
Mr Beh

Attachments

• matrix.JPG
    matrix.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,330
What is the solution to this problem ... I am stuck at the same step as you were ? Please Help

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I would approach this problem by first identifying the known and unknown variables. In this case, we know the magnetic field (B), velocity (v), and magnetic force (F) of the proton, and we are trying to find the components of velocity (vx and vy) at time t1.

Next, I would use the equation F = qv x B to solve for the unknown velocities. This equation represents the cross product of the velocity and magnetic field vectors, which results in the magnetic force vector. By equating the components of the force vector (Fx and Fy) to the corresponding components of the cross product (qv x B), we can solve for vx and vy.

Therefore, the next step would be to set the x-component of the force (Fx) equal to the x-component of the cross product (qv x B). Similarly, the y-component of the force (Fy) would be set equal to the y-component of the cross product. This will result in two equations with two unknowns (vx and vy), which can be solved using algebraic methods.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Do You Calculate Proton Velocity Components in a Magnetic Field?

1. What is the "Magnetic Field Proton Problem"?

The "Magnetic Field Proton Problem" is a phenomenon observed in particle physics where the proton's magnetic moment (a measure of its magnetic strength) is significantly larger than what is predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. Why is the "Magnetic Field Proton Problem" important?

The "Magnetic Field Proton Problem" is important because it challenges our current understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions. It also has implications for other areas of physics, such as cosmology and the search for new particles.

3. How is the "Magnetic Field Proton Problem" being studied?

Scientists are using various approaches to study the "Magnetic Field Proton Problem." These include experimental measurements of the proton's magnetic moment, theoretical calculations using advanced mathematical models, and collider experiments to search for new particles that may explain the discrepancy.

4. What are some proposed solutions to the "Magnetic Field Proton Problem"?

Some proposed solutions to the "Magnetic Field Proton Problem" include the existence of new particles or forces that have not yet been discovered, modifications to the Standard Model, and alternative theories of particle physics. However, further research and experimentation are needed to confirm any of these proposed solutions.

5. How will solving the "Magnetic Field Proton Problem" impact our understanding of the universe?

Solving the "Magnetic Field Proton Problem" could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and the origins and evolution of the universe. It could also lead to new discoveries and advancements in technology. However, more research and experimentation are needed to fully understand and solve this problem.