How Do You Calculate Curvature from a Given Metric?

In summary, curvature in 2D is a measure of how much a curve deviates from being a straight line, calculated as the reciprocal of the radius of the circle that best approximates the curve at a specific point. It is calculated using the formula k = |dT/ds| and can be positive or negative, depending on the direction of the curve. Computing curvature is significant in various fields but is limited to smooth curves and may be affected by the choice of the arc length parameter and the precision of the data points.
stephenkeiths

Homework Statement

I have a given Metric:
[itex]ds^{2}=A(u,v)^{2}du^{2}+B(u,v)^{2}dv^{2}[/itex]
And I'm asked to compute its curvature, and use this result to compute the curvature of the poincare metric:
Set [itex]A=B=\frac{1}{v^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using Cartan's method. So first I change to an orthonormal frame:
[itex]σ^{1}=Adu[/itex] and [itex]σ^{2}=Bdv[/itex]
First I need to find the unique [itex]w_{12}=-w_{21}[/itex]
So I let [itex]w_{12}=a(u,v)σ^{1}+b(u,v)σ^{2}[/itex] Where a and b are unknown functions I'm looking for. Next I have:
[itex]dσ^{1}=-w_{12}[/itex]^[itex]σ^{2}=d(Adu)[/itex]
and
[itex]dσ^{2}=w_{12}[/itex]^[itex]σ^{1}=d(Bdv)[/itex]
from Cartan's 1st Structural equations in orthonormal basis.
This gives me
[itex]a=\frac{1}{AB}\frac{dA}{dv}[/itex] and [itex]b=-\frac{1}{AB}\frac{dB}{du}[/itex]

Then I use Cartan's second structural equation to find the curvature K (which is just the coefficient of [itex]dw[/itex]). I find
[itex]K=\frac{1}{AB}[\frac{1}{A}\frac{d^{2}B}{du^{2}}-\frac{1}{B}\frac{d^{2}A}{dv^{2}} -\frac{1}{A^{2}}\frac{dA}{du}\frac{dB}{du}+\frac{1}{B^{2}}\frac{dA}{dv}[/itex][itex]\frac{dB}{dv}][/itex]

But then when I plug in [itex]A=B=\frac{1}{v^{2}}[/itex] I get [itex]-2v^{2}[/itex]

But the Curvature for the Poincare metrix should be -1 (right?)

What am I doing wrong? Is it just a computational error?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thanks for posting your attempt at solving this problem. From what I can see, you have followed the correct steps in using Cartan's method to find the curvature of the given metric. However, I believe you may have made a computational error when plugging in the values for A and B.

When A=B=1/v^2, the curvature should actually be -4/v^4, not -2v^2. This can be seen by plugging in the values for A and B into the expression for K that you found:

K = (1/AB)[(1/A)(d^2B/du^2) - (1/B)(d^2A/dv^2) - (1/A^2)(dA/du)(dB/du) + (1/B^2)(dA/dv)(dB/dv)]

= (1/(1/v^4))[(1/(1/v^2))(d^2(1/v^2)/du^2) - (1/(1/v^2))(d^2(1/v^2)/dv^2) - (1/(1/v^4))(d(1/v^2)/du)(d(1/v^2)/du) + (1/(1/v^4))(d(1/v^2)/dv)(d(1/v^2)/dv)]

= (v^4)[(-2/v^6) - (-2/v^6) - (-4/v^8) + (-4/v^8)]

= (-4/v^4)

Therefore, the curvature for the Poincare metric should be -4/v^4, which is equivalent to -1 when v=1 (as it does in the Poincare metric).

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Do You Calculate Curvature from a Given Metric?

1. What is the definition of curvature in 2D?

Curvature in 2D is a measure of how much a curve deviates from being a straight line. It is a property of the curve at a specific point and is defined as the reciprocal of the radius of the circle that best approximates the curve at that point.

2. How is curvature calculated in 2D?

The curvature is calculated using the formula k = |dT/ds|, where k is the curvature, T is the unit tangent vector, and s is the arc length parameter. This formula is based on the definition of curvature as the inverse of the radius of the osculating circle.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative curvature in 2D?

Positive curvature means that the curve is bending in the same direction as the unit tangent vector, while negative curvature means the curve is bending in the opposite direction. This can also be visualized as the curve curving towards or away from the center of the osculating circle.

4. What is the significance of computing curvature in 2D?

Computing curvature is important in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can help in understanding the behavior of curves and surfaces, identifying critical points, and analyzing the stability of systems.

5. Are there any limitations to computing curvature in 2D?

Yes, computing curvature in 2D is limited to smooth curves and cannot be applied to curves with sharp corners or cusps. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation may be affected by the choice of the arc length parameter and the precision of the data points.