How do you calculate activation energy per vacancy?

In summary, to calculate the activation energy needed to create a single vacancy in aluminium, you can use the formula Q = -kTln(N/n) where k is Boltzmann's constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, N is Avogadro's number times the density of aluminium divided by its molar mass, and n is the number of vacancies per unit volume. The resulting value of Q should be multiplied by Avogadro's number to get the energy per mole. In this specific case, a temperature of 500 Celsius was given, and the resulting value of Q was found to be 1.053 ev/mole or 16.85e-20 Joule/mole. However, the correct answer according to
ENgez
the question is like this:
Calculate the activation energy needed to create a single vacancy in aluminium, given:
T= 500 Celsius
Density (500 Celsius) = 2.62 gr/cm3
n = 7.57e23 m-3
Mw (Al) = 26.98 gr/mol

I know these Formulas:
n = N*exp (Q/kT) (k = boltzmann's constant)
N = Na*Density/Mw (Na = avogardo's number)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey ENgez, welcome to PF :smile:

It seems like a direct question with a direct answer, just find Q [the activation energy required to create one vacancy].

I did Find Q and it turned out to be 1.053 ev/mole or 16.85e-20 Joule/mole, but according to the answer sheet its supposed to be 72.33 kJoule/mole. Is it possible for the answer to be so big or is there a mistake in the sheet? And if there isn't, what am i doing wrong?

Btw, thanks drizzle :)

An energy value like 1.053 ev, should be on the basis of an atom.

Did you convert Celsius to kelvin?

I solved it :). Thank you Astronuc and drizzle. Astronuc, your post made me see that i had actually found the energy per atom, so all i had to do was to multiply it by avagardo's number to get it per mole.

Related to How do you calculate activation energy per vacancy?

1. What is activation energy?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a reaction to occur. It is the energy difference between the reactants and the transition state of a reaction.

2. Why is it important to calculate activation energy per vacancy?

Calculating activation energy per vacancy is important because it helps us understand the energy barrier that must be overcome for vacancies to form in a material. This information can then be used to predict the stability and behavior of materials in various environments.

3. How do you calculate activation energy per vacancy?

To calculate activation energy per vacancy, you need to determine the total energy of the system with and without the presence of vacancies. The difference between these two energies divided by the number of vacancies will give you the activation energy per vacancy.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of activation energy per vacancy calculations?

The accuracy of activation energy per vacancy calculations can be affected by factors such as the type of material, the number and distribution of vacancies, and the temperature at which the calculation is performed. Additionally, the accuracy can also be influenced by the method used to calculate the energies of the system.

5. How can activation energy per vacancy be used in practical applications?

Activation energy per vacancy can be used in practical applications such as predicting the lifetime and stability of materials in high-temperature environments, designing materials with desired properties, and understanding the kinetics of diffusion processes in materials. It can also be used to optimize manufacturing processes and improve the performance of electronic devices.