How Does Melting Temperature Affect the Density of Vacancies in Copper?

• Thread starter Arran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for estimating the equilibrium density of vacancies in a material, with an example using copper with a f.c.c. crystal structure. The equation takes into account the energy required to create a vacancy and the temperature, with the melting temperature of the material potentially affecting the density of defects. The melting temperature of copper, 1357.77K, is used as an example in the conversation.
Arran

Homework Statement

Consider a crystal of copper with the f.c.c. structure. Suppose the energy costs for creating a one-atom vacancy in the material is 1.1eV. The melting temperature of the material is 1356K. Estimate equilibrium density of vacancies in the material.

Homework Equations

NV/NL=exp(-Δhf/kT)

where NV is the number of vacancies,
NL is the number of lattice sites,
Δhf is the energy required to create a one-atom vacancy,
& k is boltzmann's constant

The Attempt at a Solution

Equilibrium density of vacancies = NV/NL=exp(-Δhf/kT)=
=exp(-1.1*1.6*10-19/1.38*10-23*300)=3.45*10-19

I think I understand the equation and am able to derive it. However, I don't understand the relevance of the melting temperature. I assume the "equilibrium" implies room temperature, so I use T=300K. Also I don't see the relevance of the crystal structure, f.c.c.

Please help me. I feel as though I am missing the point of the equation :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure for T you are supposed to use the melting point of copper i.e 1357.77K.

newyork7 said:
I'm pretty sure for T you are supposed to use the melting point of copper i.e 1357.77K.

But the formula implies (to me anyway) that the density of defects is temperature dependent, which makes sense. So as T goes to zero, so too does the density of defects. As T goes to infinity, the defect density goes to unity.

My only idea about the melting point is that at this temperature (T=1357.77K) the density of defects somehow saturates or reaches unity or some such. I don't see how to describe this with the given equation though. . .

Related to How Does Melting Temperature Affect the Density of Vacancies in Copper?

1. What is the definition of density of defects?

The density of defects refers to the number of defects or imperfections in a material per unit volume. It is a measure of the concentration of flaws or errors within a substance.

2. How is density of defects measured?

Density of defects is typically measured using techniques such as microscopy, X-ray diffraction, or ultrasonic testing. These methods allow for the identification and counting of defects within a material.

3. Why is density of defects important?

Density of defects can impact the properties and performance of a material. Higher levels of defects can weaken the material, leading to a decrease in strength and durability. It is also important in quality control, as a high density of defects can indicate a lower quality material.

4. What factors can affect the density of defects in a material?

The density of defects can be influenced by various factors such as the type of material, manufacturing process, and environmental conditions. For example, materials that are subjected to high temperatures or mechanical stress during production may have a higher density of defects.

5. Can the density of defects be reduced?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate defects in a material, steps can be taken to reduce their density. These include using high-quality raw materials, implementing strict quality control measures, and optimizing production processes to minimize stress and other factors that can contribute to defects.