How Do You Calculate Acceleration in a Double Atwood Machine?

In summary: Hence, their sum will be positive.In summary, the double Atwood machine in the figure has frictionless, mass-less pulleys and cords, and the task is to determine the acceleration of mA, mB, mC. To solve this problem, the free-body diagrams are used to write Newton's second law for each mass, assuming that mC is falling, mB is falling relative to its pulley, and mA is rising relative to its pulley. Additionally, the acceleration of mA relative to the free pulley should be the acceleration of the free pulley plus the acceleration of mA. The error in the original attempt was the equation aa = -ab, which is not true because both a and b will be moving in the
Calpalned

Homework Statement

The double Atwood machine shown in the figure has frictionless, mass-less pulleys and cords.
Determine the acceleration of mA, mB, mC.
GIANCOLI.ch04.p56.jpg

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

http://photo1.ask.fm/779/725/638/-259996976-1shhdoh-qms4ifsem3hthf/preview/IMG_4082.jpg
http://photo1.ask.fm/905/398/673/-59997000-1shhdp1-2726aartaqghh2f/preview/IMG_4083.jpg
http://photo1.ask.fm/916/959/786/-239996977-1shhdpk-78i75a0215n926k/preview/IMG_4084.jpg
http://photo1.ask.fm/333/391/062/-249996981-1shhdrb-eeemt2tkfheqfp0/preview/IMG_4085.jpg

What did I do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First I see aa = ab , later on it becomes aa = -ab ?

The accelerations of A and B are equal in magnitude with respect to the hanging pulley, which accelerates, too.

Likes Calpalned and BvU
Oops o:)

Here is the answer given in my solutions manual.

Because the pulleys are massless, the net force on them must be 0. Because the cords are massless, the tension will be the same at both ends of the cords. Use the free-body diagrams to write Newton’s second law for each mass. We take the direction of acceleration to be positive in the direction of motion of the object. We assume that mC is falling, mB is falling relative to its pulley, and mA is rising relative to its pulley. Also note that if the acceleration of mA relative to the pulley above it is aR , then aA = aR + aC. Then, the acceleration of mB is aB = aR - aC since aC is in the opposite direction of aB .

Even though mA and mB are moving in opposite directions, how can they both be considered moving in the positive direction?

The acceleration of m_A relative to the free pulley should be the acceleration of the free pulley plus the acceleration of m_A. The free pulley is rising and mA is rising too. Therefore, aR = aC + aA. Why is it necessary to consider the free pulley in the first place? I don't see any problem with ignoring it (my original attempt doesn't seem to have an errors) but I somehow got the wrong answers.

Finally, what's the error in my original attempt in the starting post in this thread?

Calpalned said:
Even though mA and mB are moving in opposite directions, how can they both be considered moving in the positive direction?
ma and mb are not necessarily moving in opposite directions. It's only with respect to the lower pulley that they move in opposite directions. So in reality, they can both be moving in the same direction.

Calpalned said:
Finally, what's the error in my original attempt in the starting post in this thread?
Your error was the equation aa = -ab... This is not true! Imagine aa = ab ... They should both be at rest with respect to the lower pulley, right? According to your equation, aa+ab=0... But this is clearly not true because both a and b will moving with some nonzero acceleration in the same direction (they will move with the same acceleration that the lower pulley is moving with.)

Related to How Do You Calculate Acceleration in a Double Atwood Machine?

1. What is a Double Atwood Machine?

A Double Atwood Machine is a mechanical device used to study the principles of physics and mechanics. It consists of two Atwood machines, which are pulley systems with two masses connected by a string or rope. The Double Atwood Machine is often used to demonstrate the concept of balanced and unbalanced forces.

2. How does a Double Atwood Machine work?

In a Double Atwood Machine, two masses are connected by a string or rope that runs over two pulleys. The pulleys allow the string to change direction, creating a mechanical advantage. When one mass is released, it accelerates towards the ground due to gravity. This causes the other mass to rise, creating a continuous motion and demonstrating the principles of Newton's Second Law of Motion.

3. What are the applications of a Double Atwood Machine?

A Double Atwood Machine can be used in physics experiments to study the principles of mechanics, such as acceleration, force, and potential energy. It is also commonly used in educational settings to help students understand complex concepts and theories in a hands-on and visual way.

4. How is a Double Atwood Machine different from a regular Atwood Machine?

The main difference between a Double Atwood Machine and a regular Atwood Machine is the number of masses and pulleys involved. A regular Atwood Machine only has one mass and one pulley, while a Double Atwood Machine has two masses and two pulleys. This allows for more complex experiments and demonstrations of mechanical principles.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Double Atwood Machine?

One limitation of a Double Atwood Machine is that it is a simplified model and does not take into account external factors such as friction and air resistance. These factors can affect the accuracy of the results and may need to be considered in more advanced experiments. Additionally, the masses used in a Double Atwood Machine are typically small and may not accurately represent real-world objects.