How Do You Calculate Acceleration and Tension in a Double Atwood Machine?

In summary, the masses A and B experience an equal and opposite acceleration due to the tension in the cords.
hitemup

Homework Statement

[/B]
GIANCOLI.ch04.p56.jpg

The double Atwood machine has frictionless, massless pulleys and cords. Determine the acceleration of masses mA,mB,mC, and the tensions in the cords.

Homework Equations

[/B]
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
First I looked down the bottom section. Assuming mB> mA

mB*g - FTA = mB*a
FTA - mA*g = mA*a

I got the following from the equations above, so I think this must be the acceleration for the masses A and B.

aA,B = g* (mB - mA)/(mB + mA)

Now Assuming mC*g>FTC

mC*g - FTC = mC*a

This is where I choked. What should be the second equation for this pulley? FTC = 2FTA?
If I were to find FTA in terms of mA, mB, and aA,B, would that be enough for aC's equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
hitemup said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
GIANCOLI.ch04.p56.jpg

The double Atwood machine has frictionless, massless pulleys and cords. Determine the acceleration of masses mA,mB,mC, and the tensions in the cords.

Homework Equations

[/B]
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
First I looked down the bottom section. Assuming mB> mA

mB*g - FTA = mB*a
FTA - mA*g = mA*a

I got the following from the equations above, so I think this must be the acceleration for the masses A and B.

aA,B = g* (mB - mA)/(mB + mA)

A and B hang from the rope around the hanging pulley. Their accelerations are equal with respect to the pulley, but not with respect to the ground.
I suggest to write the acceleration of C first. It will be the same (with opposite sign) as the acceleration of the hanging pulley. It has no mass, so 2FTA=FTC.

Likes Sho Kano
ehild said:
A and B hang from the rope around the hanging pulley. Their accelerations are equal with respect to the pulley, but not with respect to the ground.
I suggest to write the acceleration of C first. It will be the same (with opposite sign) as the acceleration of the hanging pulley. It has no mass, so 2FTA=FTC.

What confuses me here is that there are too many possibilities, especially for A and B.

To write correct equations with respect to ground, I think I should consider the effect of FTC on A and B like you said. But what are their directions?
I mean if we assume C is going down, no problem. But either A or B could be going down or up in this situation. Should I just assume their directions too?

Assume the directions, and solve.

To solve for the acceleration of mass C, we need to consider the forces acting on it. The mass C is connected to two ropes, one going over the pulley attached to mass A and one going over the pulley attached to mass B. This means that the tension in the rope attached to mass C is equal to the sum of the tensions in the two ropes attached to masses A and B.

Therefore, we can write the following equation:

mC*g - (FTA + FTC) = mC*a

Since we already have an equation for FTA in terms of mA, mB, and aA,B, we can substitute that into this equation:

mC*g - (g* (mB - mA)/(mB + mA) + FTC) = mC*a

Now we need to find the value of FTC. To do this, we can use the fact that the tension in the rope attached to mass B is equal to the tension in the rope attached to mass A:

FTA = FTC

Substituting this into the equation above, we get:

mC*g - g* (mB - mA)/(mB + mA) - FTA = mC*a

Finally, we can solve for the acceleration of mass C:

aC = g* (mC - (mB - mA)/(mB + mA))/(mC + (mB - mA)/(mB + mA))

To find the tensions in the ropes, we can use the equations we already found for FTA and FTC:

FTA = g* (mB - mA)/(mB + mA)

FTC = g* (mB - mA)/(mB + mA)

Note that the tension in the rope attached to mass C will be equal to the sum of these two tensions.

Related to How Do You Calculate Acceleration and Tension in a Double Atwood Machine?

1. What is a double atwood machine?

A double atwood machine is a device that consists of two connected Atwood machines, which are systems of pulleys and masses used to study the effects of gravity and force on a system.

2. How does a double atwood machine work?

In a double atwood machine, the two systems of pulleys and masses are connected by a string. When one mass is pulled down by gravity, the other mass is pulled up with the same force. This creates a balanced and equal system, allowing for the study of forces and motion.

3. What are the main components of a double atwood machine?

The main components of a double atwood machine include two pulley systems, two masses, and a string connecting the two systems. Some versions may also include additional components such as a frictionless track or a timer for more precise measurements.

4. What is the purpose of using a double atwood machine?

A double atwood machine is used to study the effects of gravity and force on a system. It can also be used to demonstrate and calculate Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration.

5. What are some real-life applications of a double atwood machine?

Double atwood machines are commonly used in physics and engineering classrooms to teach concepts such as force, motion, and energy. They can also be used in research labs to study the effects of gravity and forces on various systems. In addition, they may have practical applications in the design and testing of machines and structures, such as elevators or cranes.