How do we know Inflation begin in 10^-35 second?

• Thread starter Quarlep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inflation
In summary, the concept of inflation in the early universe is still not fully understood and its existence is not a confirmed fact. The specific time of 10^-35 seconds is a guess and there are other slightly different estimates for the start and end of the inflation period. However, it is generally agreed that inflation ended when the universe was about 10^-32 seconds old. These estimates are based on phase transitions in the early universe and coincide with the separation of different forces.
Quarlep
I am a high school student and I was searching the inflation theory.When I searched I found that inflation starts a certain time (10-35) how physicists know that 10-35 is the "true" or"right" time ?

Space news on Phys.org
Quarlep said:
I am a high school student and I was searching the inflation theory.When I searched I found that inflation starts a certain time (10-35) how physicists know that 10-35 is the "true" or"right" time ?
We don't even know for sure that inflation happened. It probably did and it certainly solves some otherwise difficult problems in cosmology, but its occurrence is not known for a fact. How the figure of 10^-35 was arrived at I don't know, and I have seen slightly different figures for both the start and the end of the period, although all agree that it was very brief.

Quarlep said:
This is basically a guess. Within inflation, it is unclear when inflation started or how long it lasts, as inflation wipes out almost all evidence of anything that came before.

In Linde's chaotic model, inflation begins at the Planck time [10^-43]. In other models it begins around the time of the electroweak epoch [10^-36]. In all models it is generally agreed to have ended when the universe was about 10^-32 seconds in age. Bear in mind we still lack any compelling evidence that inflation actually occured, so, it's still just a guess, as Chalnoth pointed out. You will notice all of these 'guess' times coincide with phase transitions in the early universe. At Planck time it is believed the gravitational force had just separated from the primordial super state, when all the known forces in the universe were combined. At the time of the electroweak epoch, the strong nuclear force had just separated from the state known as grand unification, when all the known forces save gravity were still combined.

Related to How do we know Inflation begin in 10^-35 second?

1. How do scientists determine when inflation began in 10^-35 second?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine when inflation began in 10^-35 second. One of the most commonly used methods is looking at the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. By analyzing the patterns and fluctuations in this radiation, scientists can estimate when inflation began.

2. What evidence supports the theory of inflation beginning in 10^-35 second?

Aside from the cosmic microwave background radiation, there are several other lines of evidence that support the theory of inflation beginning in 10^-35 second. These include the observations of the large-scale structure of the universe, the distribution of galaxies, and the abundance of elements in the universe.

3. How did scientists come up with the idea of inflation beginning in 10^-35 second?

The theory of inflation was proposed in the 1980s by physicists Alan Guth and Andrei Linde. They were studying the problem of the horizon and flatness in the standard Big Bang model and realized that the idea of a rapid expansion in the very early universe could solve these problems. This led to the concept of inflation beginning in 10^-35 second.

4. Is the theory of inflation beginning in 10^-35 second widely accepted in the scientific community?

Yes, the theory of inflation beginning in 10^-35 second is widely accepted in the scientific community. It has been supported by numerous observations and has helped to explain many mysteries in cosmology, such as the uniformity of the universe and the absence of magnetic monopoles.

5. Can the beginning of inflation in 10^-35 second ever be confirmed or observed?

At this time, it is not possible to directly observe or confirm the beginning of inflation in 10^-35 second. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may one day allow us to gather more evidence and possibly observe the effects of inflation. Until then, the theory remains the most widely accepted explanation for the early universe.