How Do Projectiles Behave in Parametric 3D Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of six projectiles launched from the base of a 20-meter tower and the base of a 20-meter tree. The parametric equations for each projectile's motion are given, and the question asks which projectile hits the top of the tree and which one is not launched from the tower but still hits the tree. A summary of the solutions is given, with projectile II being the one that hits the top of the tree and projectile VI being the one that is not launched from the tower but hits the tree. The question also asks for the value of t at which the projectile hits the top of the tree and the coordinates of the tower.
trolling

Homework Statement

The base of a 20-meter tower is at the origin; the base of a 20-meter tree is at (0,20,0). The ground is flat & the z-axis points upward. The following parametric equations describe the motion of six projectiles each launched at time t = 0 in seconds. (i refers to x-axis, j refers to y-axis, & k refers to z-axis)

1) r(t) = (20 + t^2)k
2) r(t) = (2(t^2))j + (2(t^2))k
3) r(t) = 20i + 20j + (2-t^2)k
4) r(t) = 2tj + (20-t^2)k
5) r(t) = (20-2t)i + 2tj + (20-t)k
6) r(t) = ti + tj + tk

A) Which projectile hits the top of the tree?
B) Which projectile is NOT launched from somewhere on the tower & hits the tree?

2. The attempt at a solution

At t = 0,
1) r = <0, 0, 20>
2) r = <0, 0, 0>
3) r = <20, 20, 20>
4) r = <0, 0, 20>
5) r = <20, 0, 20>
6) r = <0, 0, 0>

These are just guesses
A) II, B) VI

Physics news on Phys.org
trolling said:

Homework Statement

The base of a 20-meter tower is at the origin; the base of a 20-meter tree is at (0,20,0). The ground is flat & the z-axis points upward. The following parametric equations describe the motion of six projectiles each launched at time t = 0 in seconds. (i refers to x-axis, j refers to y-axis, & k refers to z-axis)

1) r(t) = (20 + t^2)k
2) r(t) = (2(t^2))j + (2(t^2))k
3) r(t) = 20i + 20j + (2-t^2)k
4) r(t) = 2tj + (20-t^2)k
5) r(t) = (20-2t)i + 2tj + (20-t)k
6) r(t) = ti + tj + tk

A) Which projectile hits the top of the tree?
B) Which projectile is NOT launched from somewhere on the tower & hits the tree?

2. The attempt at a solution

At t = 0,
1) r = <0, 0, 20>
2) r = <0, 0, 0>
3) r = <20, 20, 20>
4) r = <0, 0, 20>
5) r = <20, 0, 20>
6) r = <0, 0, 0>

These are just guesses
A) II, B) VI
Why is A correct? At what value of t does the projectile impact the top of the tree?

For B: What are the coordinates of the tower?

Related to How Do Projectiles Behave in Parametric 3D Space?

1. What is parametric motion in 3-space?

Parametric motion in 3-space refers to a mathematical representation of motion in three-dimensional space using parametric equations. These equations describe the position of an object in 3D space at any given time, taking into account the object's velocity and acceleration.

2. How is parametric motion in 3-space different from regular motion?

The main difference is that parametric motion in 3-space allows for more complex and precise descriptions of motion in three-dimensional space. It takes into account not only the object's position, but also its velocity and acceleration, which can vary over time.

3. What are some real-world applications of parametric motion in 3-space?

Parametric motion in 3-space is used in various fields such as engineering, robotics, computer graphics, and physics. It can be used to model the motion of objects in space, simulate the movement of vehicles, and design complex structures and animations.

4. How is parametric motion in 3-space calculated?

Parametric motion in 3-space is calculated using parametric equations, which involve the use of parameters such as time, distance, and velocity. These equations can be solved using mathematical tools and software, such as calculus and computer programs.

5. What are the advantages of using parametric motion in 3-space?

Parametric motion in 3-space allows for more precise and accurate descriptions of motion, which can be useful in various fields such as engineering and physics. It also allows for the simulation of complex and dynamic systems, making it a valuable tool in research and design.