How do people with hearing and vision impairments use computers?

In summary, people who are visually or hearing impaired can use computers through the use of specialized equipment such as Braille keyboards and solenoid-operated devices. There are also speak and type programs available. For those without hands, there are potential options such as a braille-like pattern on the body or a cyber-sex suit. A simple Google search for "Braille computer keyboards" can provide more information on these specialized devices.
Euphoriet
How do people who can't see or hear.. use computers.. I know there must be some way for them to... but what is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Euphoriet said:
How do people who can't see or hear.. use computers.. I know there must be some way for them to... but what is it?
Again, not my area of expertise (well... I don't really have one), but I seem to be the only one here. You can get Braille keyboards, and solenoid-operated devices (like a dot matrix print head, but a lot bigger) that raises pins in a Braille pattern under your hand. There might be other things, but those are the only ones that I know of. :smile:

What if that person has no hands?

mattmns said:
What if that person has no hands?
You just go out of your way to make things difficult, don't you. :-p:biggrin:

thats cool... hmm if they have no hands.. =-/ poked by braille like pattern in a part of the body? =-/

I've never seen such keyboards.. a link would be nice, Thanks.

Last edited:
Euphoriet said:
poked by braille like pattern in a part of the body?
Ever see 'My Left Foot'? (Or are you referring to a cyber-sex suit?) :-p

Never seen it.. and I'm still wondering about that keyboard..

There are also many speak and type programs out there. Just speak into the mic and the computer types for you.

edit... nevermind, I thought you were asking about printers

Euphoriet said:
I've never seen such keyboards.. a link would be nice, Thanks.
I don't know how to do links or even post pictures. :redface:
If you Google "Braille computer keyboards" there are about 51,500 responses. The first page is probably all you need. :smile:

Related to How do people with hearing and vision impairments use computers?

What is hearing and vision impairment?

Hearing and vision impairment refers to conditions or disorders that affect an individual's ability to hear and see. It can range from mild to severe and can impact a person's daily life and communication abilities.

What are the common causes of hearing and vision impairment?

The most common causes of hearing and vision impairment are age-related changes, genetic disorders, infections, injuries, and certain medical conditions such as diabetes or stroke. Exposure to loud noises and harmful chemicals can also contribute to these impairments.

How are hearing and vision impairment diagnosed?

Hearing and vision impairment can be diagnosed through various tests and exams. A hearing test, also known as an audiogram, is conducted to measure the extent of hearing loss. A vision test, such as a visual acuity test or an eye exam, is used to evaluate the clarity and sharpness of vision.

Can hearing and vision impairment be treated?

While there is no cure for hearing and vision impairment, there are treatments and interventions available to improve an individual's daily functioning. These may include hearing aids, cochlear implants, glasses or contact lenses, and visual aids such as magnifiers or screen readers.

What can be done to support individuals with hearing and vision impairment?

There are various ways to support individuals with hearing and vision impairment, such as using assistive devices and technologies, providing clear and concise communication, and creating a safe and accessible environment. Additionally, educating oneself and others about these impairments can help reduce stigma and promote inclusivity.