Can "Secret" Food Recipe Formulas Not Be Reverse Engineered?

In summary: Pepsi, and then they had a contest to see who could identify the new recipe the quickest. Some people did, and they got a lot of publicity from it. But, you know, the prices are usually so down due the competition, that from the same (well known) ingredients you won't be able to make the same thing sufficiently cheaper to actually sell it.So it's a decision. You want to do the same, for just a bit cheaper: or you can join the competition with making your own brand, based on a difference (so their recipe would be more or less useless).Though there is a market for this kind of reverse engineering on copying luxury goods.
kyphysics
You always hear about how famous big food companies have recipes locked away in vaults. They never want to give away the secret sauce so competitors can copy them.

However, with all we can do with modern technology, why can't we send a Chick-Fil-A sandwich over the a lab and have them chemically identify every thing in there and derive the ingredients that way? What limitation is there such that we cannot figure out what something is made of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, with some margin of error it can be done.

But, you know, the prices are usually so down due the competition, that from the same (well known) ingredients you won't be able to make the same thing sufficiently cheaper to actually sell it.

So it's a decision. You want to do the same, for just a bit cheaper: or you can join the competition with making your own brand, based on a difference (so their recipe would be more or less useless).

Though there is a market for this kind of reverse engineering on copying luxury goods. Wine and alcoholic beverages of various kinds, for example. The market is full with copies (well, some even better than the original). But without the brand they are destined to remain cheap, regardless the taste and composition.

Just because you can analyze the chemical components doesn't mean you know the sequence of steps that led to the final product. Suppose that I chemically analyze a slice of chocolate cake and determine that it has so much sugar, so much water, so much salt, so much of each amino acid, etc. Do you really think that if you then threw all of those items in a bowl and stirred it up you would have a piece of chocolate cake?

Likes russ_watters, hutchphd, Astronuc and 2 others
phyzguy said:
Just because you can analyze the chemical components doesn't mean you know the sequence of steps that led to the final product. Suppose that I chemically analyze a slice of chocolate cake and determine that it has so much sugar, so much water, so much salt, so much of each amino acid, etc. Do you really think that if you then threw all of those items in a bowl and stirred it up you would have a piece of chocolate cake?
Yeah. That's a good point about missing steps like that.

I think it's still probably very valuable to have the ingredients, though. An experienced and creative culinary research team could maybe play around with preparation details and try to get something very close to the actual item.

There's really two reasons why a company might want to keep the recipe secret.

(1) Already discussed, where the company doesn't want competitors to copy it. This also includes the marketing potential of just saying that they have a "secret recipe," even if in reality it isn't all that big of a deal.

(2) There might not be just a single recipe. Claiming that it's a "secret recipe" gives the company flexibility of changing it to maximize profitability without creating a fuss from loyal customers; they might not even notice.

Likes DaveE, hutchphd and kyphysics
On a lighter note it is rather much more fun to do the usual chef thing of trying to recapitulate some delicious food recipe you have run across. Like many my first successful foray was many decades ago targetting the "secret sauce" on MacDonald's Big Mac.
My favorite ersatz food product is homemade Cincinnatti-style chili which is a truly lovely concoction from greek run restaurants in Cincy 75 yrs ago

collinsmark said:
2) There might not be just a single recipe. Claiming that it's a "secret recipe" gives the company flexibility of changing it to maximize profitability without creating a fuss
Do you think "new coke" could have flown under the radar? Probably not

hutchphd said:
Do you think "new coke" could have flown under the radar? Probably not

Which is probably why they didn't keep the fact that there was a change a secret, in that particular case.

Likes hutchphd
collinsmark said:
There's really two reasons why a company might want to keep the recipe secret.

(1) Already discussed, where the company doesn't want competitors to copy it. This also includes the marketing potential of just saying that they have a "secret recipe," even if in reality it isn't all that big of a deal.

(2) There might not be just a single recipe. Claiming that it's a "secret recipe" gives the company flexibility of changing it to maximize profitability without creating a fuss from loyal customers; they might not even notice.
re: (2) That's interesting.

But, what if the tinkering leads to a better taste? ...Then, again, branding psychology can lead people to believe something is better when it may not be. I learned from Mohnish Pabrai of something called the Pepsi challenge. I think it was back in the 1980's. They had people take blind taste tests of Coke vs. Pepsi. People would choose Coke in an unblind test (the branding was powerful). But, when blindfolded, they tended to choose Pepsi, as it was sweeter.

Pepsi stole market share from Coke after those commercials. Coke got nervous and created New Coke (which was a sweeter version). Ironically, Coke fans rebelled and said they wanted to original. Coke, then created Classic Coke to go alongside New Coke...and, finally, they just got rid of New Coke altogether (the one more like Pepsi) and went back to Coke.

Our minds are so weird. I cannot even begin to explain the psychology behind those moves and consumer preferences. There really might be some mystique around an original brand item based on some psychological phenomena that makes us want it.

kyphysics said:
But, what if the tinkering leads to a better taste?

Right. It's all up to the marketing. I'm betting I could walk around the grocery store right now and find more than one example of some product that has "new and improved flavor!" on the label.

Keeping things secret gives the company the flexibility of whether to announce the change or not. (they might have to update their list of ingredients on the label, but nobody really pays attention to that anyway.)

kyphysics said:
Our minds are so weird. I cannot even begin to explain the psychology behind those moves and consumer preferences.
If I recall correctly, classic coke ended the entire fiasco with improved market share!

The topic deals with complexities of flavors and odors. SMALL quantities to try to detect and measure, not so easy, and more than just one compound. I believe food scientists and perfumers will have much to tell us about the topic.

I have a "secret" spice rub for salmon. I can tell you the three main ingredients and then I can also tell you what I sometimes include and sometimes not include. If I tell you the three main spices, then no longer a secret, but I could change the proportions. If you find a sample of my spice rub consisting of the three main spices, (1) How do you know that the sample is made up of ONLY three spices, and (2) can you exactly identify each spice in the sample ? Would you be able to do it reliably based on chemical tests? Would you be able to do it reliably based additionally on flavor and odor?

Our tasty-smelly organs are pretty impressive. Knowing a priori that there are only three ingredients I bet I could reproduce it, and greatly enjoy the process ! Just made some blackened Ahi Tuna for dinner with my "secret" rub!

collinsmark said:
Right. It's all up to the marketing. I'm betting I could walk around the grocery store right now and find more than one example of some product that has "new and improved flavor!" on the label.

Keeping things secret gives the company the flexibility of whether to announce the change or not. (they might have to update their list of ingredients on the label, but nobody really pays attention to that anyway.)
Like Kraft Mac & Cheese, which changed their recipe and nobody noticed:
https://money.cnn.com/2016/03/08/news/companies/kraft-mac-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

• Informative
Likes hutchphd

1. Can secret food recipe formulas truly not be reverse engineered?

It is possible for some secret food recipe formulas to be reverse engineered, but it depends on various factors such as the complexity of the recipe, the skill and resources of the person attempting to reverse engineer it, and the level of secrecy and protection measures taken by the creator of the recipe.

2. How do chefs and food companies protect their secret food recipe formulas?

Chefs and food companies can protect their secret food recipe formulas by using various methods such as keeping the recipe in a secure location, limiting access to the recipe, using code names or pseudonyms for ingredients, and/or using non-disclosure agreements with employees and partners.

3. Are there any legal protections for secret food recipe formulas?

In some cases, secret food recipe formulas can be protected by trade secret laws, which generally require the formula to be kept confidential and not publicly disclosed. However, these laws may vary by country and may not always offer full protection.

4. What makes a food recipe formula difficult to reverse engineer?

A food recipe formula can be difficult to reverse engineer if it includes unique or rare ingredients, complex cooking techniques, and precise measurements or ratios. Additionally, if the creator of the recipe uses non-traditional or unconventional methods, it may be more challenging to reverse engineer.

5. Are there any examples of successfully reverse engineered secret food recipe formulas?

Yes, there have been cases where secret food recipe formulas have been successfully reverse engineered, such as the Coca-Cola recipe and KFC's "11 herbs and spices" blend. However, in these cases, the recipes were closely guarded secrets for many years before being publicly revealed, and even then, the full details may not be known.