How Do Magnetic Field Lines Behave Around a Long Current-Carrying Wire?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics question related to a long wire carrying a steady current in a magnetic field and the shape of the magnetic field lines near the wire. The person is stuck on question 3.7 and has approached it by referring to an example problem, but is still unsure of their answer. They are seeking help and hoping someone can point out any mistakes in their work.
Fumbles22
Hello,

I'm stuck on this question, and it's really annoying me. I scanned the page so it has a bit more context.

img272_zps27d9afc6.jpg

It's question 3.7: "A long wire carrying a steady current is placed in a uniform magnetic field parallel to it's own length. What is the shape of the magnetic field lines close to the wire?".

I approached the problem like this:

img270_zpsaeb417b8.jpg

(Sorry about my awful handwriting!)

I'm close to the answer in the back of the book (which i'll withhold for now) but it still isn't right. Unfortunately, I can't see what I've done wrong.

I was hoping that someone could point out any gaps in my working.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see what's wrong with what you did. Maybe you could express r as sqrt(x^2 +y^2) but other than that ...

Related to How Do Magnetic Field Lines Behave Around a Long Current-Carrying Wire?

1. What are electromagnetic fields?

Electromagnetic fields are areas of energy that are created by the movement of electrically charged particles. These fields are present everywhere around us, from the sun's rays to the electronic devices we use.

2. How are electromagnetic fields measured?

Electromagnetic fields are measured using instruments such as Gaussmeters or field strength meters. These devices can detect the strength and direction of the field and convert it into a numerical value.

3. Are electromagnetic fields harmful?

The effects of electromagnetic fields on human health are a topic of ongoing research and debate. Some studies suggest a possible link between exposure to high levels of electromagnetic fields and certain health issues, but more research is needed to fully understand any potential risks.

4. How do electromagnetic fields affect electronic devices?

Electromagnetic fields can interfere with electronic devices by inducing electrical currents or voltages in the device's circuitry. This can lead to malfunctions or disruptions in the device's performance.

5. How can we protect ourselves from electromagnetic fields?

To minimize exposure to electromagnetic fields, it is recommended to keep a safe distance from sources such as power lines and electronic devices. Additionally, using shielding materials or devices can help reduce the amount of electromagnetic energy that reaches our bodies.