How far from this current-carrying wire will the Earth's magnetic field cancel the B-field from the wire?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the net magnetic field strength acting on a vertical current-carrying wire. The wire produces a horizontal magnetic field and the direction of the net field is determined by equating the horizontal field to the field produced by the wire. The resulting distance from the neutral point is 0.027m.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Calculate the distance the neutral point is from the wire
Relevant Equations
Magnetic field strength due to current currying wire = u0 * I/(2*pi*d)
Hey everyone

So this is question shown below

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 12.36.21.png

I'm not so sure where to begin with this, but I thought I'd work out the net magnetic field first

IMG_3878.JPG

How would I work out the magnetic field strength that is acting on the vertical current-carrying wire. Since I do not know what d is in this case?

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the wire is vertical, the magnetic field produced by the wire should not be vertical, but horizontal. The vector you draw for Bv is vertical, I think that's why you're stuck.

bluemystic said:
Since the wire is vertical, the magnetic field produced by the wire should not be vertical, but horizontal. The vector you draw for Bv is vertical, I think that's why you're stuck.

Ok so that means to find the net magnetic field strength. I know that both the magnetic field produced by the current carry wire and horizontal magnetic field are both horizontal and facing the same direction

This gives me the net magnetic field as this

IMG_3882.JPG

I'm still not entire sure what to do with this net magnetic field expression to find the distance from neutral point?

EDIT: nevermind I think I have answered it now. I had equate B–wire = B–horizontal not sum them up together

Last edited:
Summing them is fine if you then equate the sum to zero. You get the same equation.

BTW did you work out the direction before Chester told you?

Merlin3189 said:
Summing them is fine if you then equate the sum to zero. You get the same equation.

BTW did you work out the direction before Chester told you?

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah I figured but then I had seen the post after correcting me.

I get 0.027m as my answer

Looks right to me.

1. How does the Earth's magnetic field affect the B-field from a current-carrying wire?

The Earth's magnetic field can either add to or cancel out the B-field from a current-carrying wire, depending on the relative orientation of the wire and the Earth's magnetic field. If the wire is parallel to the Earth's magnetic field, the B-field from the wire will be strengthened. If the wire is perpendicular to the Earth's magnetic field, the B-field from the wire will be cancelled out.

2. Can the Earth's magnetic field completely cancel out the B-field from a current-carrying wire?

Yes, if the wire is positioned at a specific distance and angle from the Earth's magnetic field, the B-field from the wire can be completely cancelled out. This is known as the neutral point.

3. How far from the current-carrying wire is the neutral point located?

The distance of the neutral point from the current-carrying wire depends on the strength of the current, the strength of the Earth's magnetic field, and the angle between the wire and the Earth's magnetic field. Generally, the neutral point is located at a distance of several meters from the wire.

4. Can the neutral point be found at any location on Earth?

No, the neutral point can only be found at specific locations on Earth where the Earth's magnetic field and the B-field from the wire can cancel out. These locations are determined by the strength and orientation of the Earth's magnetic field, and can vary depending on the location.

5. How is the neutral point affected by changes in the Earth's magnetic field?

If the Earth's magnetic field changes, for example during a magnetic storm, the location of the neutral point will also change. This is because the strength and orientation of the Earth's magnetic field will be different, affecting the cancellation of the B-field from the wire. Additionally, the neutral point may not be present at all during periods of high magnetic activity.