How Do L and U Sums Differ in Double Summation?

• Thread starter dbatten
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses the nxn array of values bij = aiaj and the sums L = Ʃ(between i=1 and n)Ʃ(between j=1 and i) bij and U = Ʃ(between j=1 and n)Ʃ(between i=1 and j) bij. It also mentions the symmetry between L and U. The conversation ends with a suggestion to do a small example by hand to better understand the concept.
dbatten

Homework Statement

Consider any sequence a1, a2,..., an and the nxn array of values bij = aiaj. Which terms in the array are involved in the sums L = Ʃ(between i=1 and n)Ʃ(between j=1 and i) bij
and U = Ʃ(between j=1 and n)Ʃ(between i=1 and j) bij?

Also, by symmetry, show that L=U.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I've just started this topic and the double summation is really confusing me. Any guidance or suggestions on how to approach this would be really useful thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
dbatten said:

Homework Statement

Consider any sequence a1, a2,..., an and the nxn array of values bij = aiaj. Which terms in the array are involved in the sums L = Ʃ(between i=1 and n)Ʃ(between j=1 and i) bij
and U = Ʃ(between j=1 and n)Ʃ(between i=1 and j) bij?

Also, by symmetry, show that L=U.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've just started this topic and the double summation is really confusing me. Any guidance or suggestions on how to approach this would be really useful thanks.

Just do a small example by hand. Use maybe a 5 by 5 array of bi,j .

a1a1 a1a2 a1a3 a1a4 a1a5

a2a1 a2a2 a2a3 a2a4 a2a5

a3a1 a3a2 a3a3 a3a4 a3a5

a4a1 a4a2 a4a3 a4a4 a4a5

a5a1 a5a2 a5a3 a5a4 a5a5

Related to How Do L and U Sums Differ in Double Summation?

What is a double summation problem?

A double summation problem involves finding the sum of a series of terms that are themselves sums. This means that there are two summation symbols in the problem, one nested inside the other.

How do I solve a double summation problem?

To solve a double summation problem, you must first simplify the problem by expanding the inner summation and combining like terms. Then, you can solve the resulting single summation using known summation formulas or by using algebraic techniques.

What are some common strategies for tackling double summation problems?

Some common strategies for solving double summation problems include using the distributive property, factoring, and telescoping. These strategies can help simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

What are some real-world applications of double summation problems?

Double summation problems are commonly used in statistics, economics, and physics to calculate complex series of data or to model real-world phenomena. They can also be used in computer programming to optimize algorithms or analyze data sets.

Are there any limitations to using double summation problems?

While double summation problems can be useful in many situations, they may not always be the most efficient or accurate method for solving a problem. In some cases, alternative approaches such as integration or numerical methods may be more appropriate.