Finding the formula for the partial sum Sn

In summary: Since both numerators and denominators are equal, it is the one with the parentheses.So you are subtracting 1/3 from 1/8 and then adding 1/15 to get 1/30.
chris4642

Homework Statement

Consider the series Ʃ 1/[k(k+2)]; n=1 to infinity
Find the formula for the partial sum Sn

2. The attempt at a solution
I have calculated the first 5 terms of the sequence as follows, but I can't see any pattern. Am I doing this right?
S1=1/3
S2=1/3+1/8=11/24
S3=1/3+1/8+1/15=21/40
S4=1/3+1/8+1/15+1/24=17/30
S5=1/3+1/8+1/15+1/24+1/35=25/42
Sn=? I can't find any ratio or exponential relation between the terms. I need to find a general formula for Sn

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: [itex] \frac{1}{k(k+2)}=\frac{1}{k}-\frac{1}{k+2} [/itex]. Your series is telescoping.

Telescoping series

Ok I have read a bit on telescoping series. One thing I do not understand is this:

Why does it go from 1/[k(k+2)] to 1/k - 1/k+2, why are they subtracted instead of added?

chris4642 said:
Ok I have read a bit on telescoping series. One thing I do not understand is this:

Why does it go from 1/[k(k+2)] to 1/k - 1/k+2, why are they subtracted instead of added?

What happens if you simplify ##\frac 1 k - \frac 1 {k+2}##? Does it equal ##\frac 1 {k(k+2)}## or not? That will answer your question.

HS-Scientist said:
Hint: [itex] \frac{1}{k(k+2)}=\frac{1}{k}-\frac{1}{k+2} [/itex]. Your series is telescoping.

It is [itex] \frac{1}{k(k+2)}=0.5\left(\frac{1}{k}-\frac{1}{k+2}\right)[/itex]

ehild

chris4642 said:

Have you learned about partial fractions?

More to the point, don't you know how to add and subtract fractions?
To add or subtract 1/k and 1/(k+2) (the parentheses in that second fraction are important!) you need to get the same denominator which is, of course, k(k+2).

1/k+ 1/(k+2)= (k+2)/k(k+2)+ k/k(k+2)= (2k+2)/k(k+2)

1/k- 1/(k+2)= (k+2)/k(k+2)- k/k(k+2)= 2/k(k+2)

Which is the one you want?

Related to Finding the formula for the partial sum Sn

1. What is the formula for the partial sum Sn?

The formula for the partial sum Sn is Sn = a1 + a2 + a3 + ... + an, where a1, a2, a3, ..., an are the terms of the sequence.

2. How do you find the value of Sn?

To find the value of Sn, you can use the formula Sn = n/2 * (a1 + an), where n is the number of terms in the sequence and a1 and an are the first and last terms, respectively.

3. What is the purpose of finding the partial sum Sn?

Finding the partial sum Sn allows us to determine the sum of a finite sequence, which can be helpful in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

4. Can the formula for Sn be applied to any type of sequence?

Yes, the formula for Sn can be applied to any type of sequence as long as the terms follow a consistent pattern.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the partial sum Sn?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the partial sum Sn, such as using a spreadsheet or a calculator, or using mathematical concepts such as factorial notation or the sigma notation.