How do I use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx in this given equation?

In summary, implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not expressed explicitly in terms of one variable. It is useful in situations where a function cannot be easily solved for one variable and involves differentiating with respect to both variables. The steps for performing implicit differentiation include identifying the variables, using differentiation rules, and solving for the derivative. This technique is commonly used in applications involving curves and surfaces, as well as in advanced calculus and differential equations courses.
suchgreatheig

Homework Statement

Use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx if y - sin(xy) = x^2.

What I've got is dy/dx y - cos(xy)(y+x dy/dx) = 2x

I don't know what I did and I don't know where to go from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
suchgreatheig said:

Homework Statement

Use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx if y - sin(xy) = x^2.

You will need to post your attempt.

slight mistake: [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(y)\ne\frac{dy}{dx}y[/tex]

after differentiating, group like terms and factor out the y'

Related to How do I use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx in this given equation?

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not expressed explicitly in terms of one variable. It is commonly used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

Why is implicit differentiation useful?

Implicit differentiation is useful in situations where a function cannot be easily solved for one variable, such as when there are multiple variables or when the function is expressed implicitly. It allows us to find the derivative without having to manipulate the equation into explicit form.

How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is expressed explicitly in terms of one variable. Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, is used for functions that cannot be easily solved for one variable and therefore involves differentiating with respect to both variables.

What are the steps for performing implicit differentiation?

The first step is to identify the variables in the equation and determine which one you are differentiating with respect to. Then, use the rules of differentiation, such as the product rule and chain rule, to find the derivative. Finally, solve for the derivative by isolating the variable of interest.

When is implicit differentiation most commonly used?

Implicit differentiation is most commonly used in applications involving curves and surfaces, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. It is also used in advanced calculus and differential equations courses.