How Do I Start Creating My Own Email Service?

• Thread starter SELFMADE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Email
In summary, the coder wants to create an email service that is similar to Gmail. He has basic coding experience and has taught himself Ruby on Rails. He does not know where to start, and he needs help.
SELFMADE
Hello Physics Forums, CS department,

I want to create an email service similar to gmail.com or mail.yahoo.com. Where people can sign up for free. I have basic coding experience that includes getting an A on Intro to Java course at a university. Prior to that I have taught myself PHP.

Ruby on Rails seems to be the rage right now. Should I delve into that right away?

I don't even know where to start. Please help!

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Here's a very basic blurb on how to get set up, but they do suggest outsourcing a lot because there is a lot involved.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7270763_create-own-email-website.html

First get an idea of what features you want. Why do you want to do this. I used to help clients set up mail servers a LONG time ago there are many issues you can run into like problems with reverse dns, etc... that can be a pain if you have no experience.

How much is it going to cost you? You said you wanted to offer free e-mail, do you have a plan to recoup your costs? There are a lot of things you need to consider.

Last edited:
A new email would most likely need to have a better design. You should invest a lot of time into designing the thing, be fore coding it.

I agree Jason's sentiments are spot on. You need to research existing email clients and see what cool features they have, you'll need them and what difficulties they present to the end user and you'll need to overcome them.

You have to design a compelling alternative or people won't move to your platform. You also need to establish clear rules on how email privacy is enforced, backed up, encrypted... And how you would deal with a govt request to read email of a party of interest.

There's several other platforms you could consider:
- grails ie groovy (super Java) script on rails (copies many of the features of Ruby on Rails)
- Php
- node.js write your code in javascript on both the client web page and the server.

Thanks for the replies. I will start from those. I needed a starting point. Again, I appreciate the inputs.

Related to How Do I Start Creating My Own Email Service?

What is an email service?

An email service is a platform that allows users to send, receive, and manage electronic messages, also known as emails. It typically includes features such as an inbox, composing and sending emails, organizing emails into folders, and a contact list.

Why do I need an email service?

An email service is essential for individuals and businesses to communicate and exchange information electronically. It provides a more efficient and organized way of managing emails compared to traditional mail services.

How do I create an email service?

Creating an email service requires advanced technical knowledge and resources. It involves building a server, developing software, and implementing security measures. It's best to consult with a team of experts or use existing email service providers for assistance.

What are the key features of an email service?

An email service should have a user-friendly interface, secure encryption, spam filtering, customizable email addresses, and reliable storage and delivery of emails. Additional features may include calendar integration, cloud storage, and mobile accessibility.

How can I ensure the success of my email service?

To ensure the success of your email service, it's crucial to conduct thorough market research, understand your target audience's needs, and continuously improve and update your service based on user feedback. It's also essential to have a reliable infrastructure and robust security measures in place.