How do I prevent mouse from waking up the computer?

• Thread starter Acuben
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary: I checked. I did not find anywhere where the OP said it was wireless.In summary, you can stop your mouse from waking up the computer by unplugging it, turning it upside down, or turning the sleep mode off.
Acuben
How do I stop my mouse from waking up the computer while it is sleep mode?
I went to device manager and mouse settings then unchecked the box "allow this device to wake up the computer" but it still does wake up the computer.

Plus my test shakes up a little bit, but it's enough to trigger the mouse to move.

i'm using vista 32 bit and the mouse did not come with the computer I bought. (hope that's enough info..)

any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Unplug it, or download the drivers required for that mouse.

Put your PC into hibernation instead of sleep or turn the mouse upside down

downloading drivers have that option?

hibernation isn't really what I had in my mind. I tried turning mouse upside down, but it's not a ball mouse, but sense-based (I don't know what you call it...), it makes it even easier to turn on.

just now, I was reading a book from room next to it and I could hear computer waking up from sleep xD

Get a laser or optical mouse (the basic Logitech or Microsoft ones should be under $20 now!) In sleep / hibernation, the LED / laser is turned off, and you have to click one of the buttons to get the computer to wake up.

You also don't have to clean the gunk off the rollers / ball to have smooth rolling action (although you may want to clean off the bottom once in a while--that gets kind of crudy).

MATLABdude said:
Get a laser or optical mouse (the basic Logitech or Microsoft ones should be under $20 now!) In sleep / hibernation, the LED / laser is turned off, and you have to click one of the buttons to get the computer to wake up.

You also don't have to clean the gunk off the rollers / ball to have smooth rolling action (although you may want to clean off the bottom once in a while--that gets kind of crudy).

you are right, new ones turns off laser in sleep.
thankss! =D

Go to the driver options in the device manager. Most mice have options in there. One of the options for mine is whether or not moving or clicking wakes the computer.

Buy one of these:
Mouse-Trap-Cheese.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist :biggrin:

MATLABdude said:
I have a Logitech mouse, but moving it causes it to wake up the computer; clicking isn't necessary.
michaelgmaloy said:
if it is a wireless mouse, just switch off the mouse itself
The thing that annoys me about my wireless mouse is that it has no off switch. At night when I turn off my computer I take the batteries out of the mouse so it doesn't use them up.
micromass said:
Buy one of these:
Mouse-Trap-Cheese.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist :biggrin:
I was going to respond with something about cheese, but you beat me to it. :biggrin:

FtlIsAwesome said:
The thing that annoys me about my wireless mouse is that it has no off switch.
That's quite surprising.

Acuben said:
How do I stop my mouse from waking up the computer while it is sleep mode?

Why is your mouse moving when you're not in the room? Mine only does this if the cable is under tension, causing the mouse to drift very slightly when left alone. Give your mouse cable some slack.

DaveC426913 said:
That's quite surprising.
Agreed. Every other wireless mouse I've seen has an off switch.
The keyboard, which came with it, is wireless and doesn't have an off switch either.
DaveC426913 said:
Why is your mouse moving when you're not in the room?
Because its looking for cheese...

FtlIsAwesome said:
The thing that annoys me about my wireless mouse is that it has no off switch. At night when I turn off my computer I take the batteries out of the mouse so it doesn't use them up.

It shouldn't use the batteries. Every wireless mouse I've encountered turns itself off when it detects a period of no motion (usually 5 - 10 minutes).
DaveC426913 said:
Give your mouse cable some slack.

Give the cable some slack, on a wireless mouse?

JaredJames said:
Give the cable some slack, on a wireless mouse?
I checked. I did not find anywhere where the OP said it was wireless.

Ah, it was ftl that said that. Scrap it.

Related to How do I prevent mouse from waking up the computer?

1. Why is my mouse waking up my computer?

There are a few reasons why your mouse may be waking up your computer. It could be due to a setting in your power management options, a faulty mouse, or a software issue.

2. How can I change the power management settings to prevent my mouse from waking up my computer?

To change the power management settings, go to your computer's control panel, click on "Power Options," and then click on "Change plan settings." From there, click on "Change advanced power settings" and navigate to "USB settings." Under "USB selective suspend setting," change the setting to "Enabled." This will prevent your mouse from waking up your computer when it is in sleep mode.

3. Is there a way to disable my mouse from waking up my computer without changing power settings?

Yes, you can also disable the wake-up function for your mouse through Device Manager. Go to your computer's control panel, click on "Hardware and Sound," and then click on "Device Manager." Find your mouse in the list of devices, right-click on it, and select "Properties." Under the "Power Management" tab, uncheck the box next to "Allow this device to wake the computer."

4. My mouse is still waking up my computer even after changing settings. What can I do?

If your mouse is still waking up your computer, it could be a software issue. Try updating the driver for your mouse or reinstalling the driver. You can also try using a different mouse to see if the issue persists.

5. Can I prevent my mouse from waking up my computer without disconnecting it?

Yes, you can prevent your mouse from waking up your computer without disconnecting it by using a USB hub. Connect your mouse to the hub and then connect the hub to your computer. This will allow you to easily disconnect the mouse without physically unplugging it from your computer.