How do I model a spring in Ansys 2D for a linear generator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of modeling a linear generator in Ansys 2D and adding a spring to one end of the rotor. The speaker is seeking help on how to properly model the spring and determine the damping coefficient of the system. They are advised to consider the input/output of the model and use Masons rule to calculate a transfer function. It is also suggested to introduce friction and power loss for a more realistic damping coefficient.
Jayaram12391
Hi friends,

I am working on a model of linear generator. I have modeled the linear generator in Ansys 2D. Now I want to attach a spring to one end of the rotor and see how it works with the spring attached to it. How do I model the spring?

Also is there any proper way to determine the damping co-efficient of the system

Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jayaram12391 said:
How do I model the spring?
First of all you have to determine what the input/output is to be in the model. Say that the input is some force, F, that affects the rotor, and that x is the position of the rotor, you will get a model like this:
upload_2015-11-19_3-16-17.png
m = mass of rotor
a(s) = acceleration
v(s) = velocity
x(s) = position
K = spring coefficient

Using Masons rule, you will get a transfer function: x(s)/F(s) = 1 / ( m*s2 + K ) = ( 1/m) / ( s2 + K/m ).

which can be rewritten

x(s)/F(s) = ( 1/m ) / ( s2 + 2ζωns + ωn2 )

Here the damping ratio, ζ = 0 , because the coefficient to s = 0. So in this model no damping takes places, but that's because there is no friction and no power loss due to the generator included in this model.
Jayaram12391 said:
is there any proper way to determine the damping co-efficient of the system
So to calculate a realistic damping coefficient, ζ > 0, you must introduce friction/power loss in the model.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your answer. I know the stiffness of the spring to be attached to be 750pounds/inch. But i am not sure how I can introduce it into the ansys model.

Thanks for your explanation on damping co-efficient. I know the efficiency of the generator. I will try to calculate the damping co-efficient of the system.

Related to How do I model a spring in Ansys 2D for a linear generator?

1. What is Ansys 2D - Spring system?

Ansys 2D - Spring system is a computer-aided engineering software used for finite element analysis of 2D spring systems. It allows for accurate modeling and simulation of various spring configurations and their behavior under different loading conditions.

2. How does Ansys 2D - Spring system work?

Ansys 2D - Spring system uses finite element analysis techniques to discretize the spring system into small elements, allowing for the analysis of individual components and their interactions. It then solves the governing equations of motion to determine the deformation, stresses, and strains in the spring system.

3. What are the benefits of using Ansys 2D - Spring system?

Ansys 2D - Spring system offers a variety of benefits, including accurate and reliable results, efficient analysis of complex spring systems, and the ability to visualize and optimize designs before physical prototyping. It also allows for parametric studies to evaluate the effects of different design parameters on the spring system's behavior.

4. Can Ansys 2D - Spring system be used for other types of systems besides springs?

Yes, Ansys 2D - Spring system can be used for analyzing other types of mechanical systems such as beams, plates, and shells. It can also be used for thermal and fluid analysis.

5. Is Ansys 2D - Spring system suitable for all levels of users?

Ansys 2D - Spring system offers a user-friendly interface and provides tutorials and documentation for beginners. However, it also has advanced features and capabilities that make it suitable for experienced users and complex analyses.