How do I integrate Gaus's Law for magnetism for surface of half sphere?

In summary, Dick is saying that the magnetic flux can be found by integrating the magnetic field over the surface of the half sphere. The first integral is easy to find, and the second can be found by taking the divergence of the magnetic field.
Jacobim
The problem shows a picture of a surface of a half sphere. It is labeled surface 1 being the disk of the top of the half sphere. Surface 2 is the remaining surface of the half sphere. R is the radius.

The magnetic field is uniform and makes an angle theta with the vertical (or with the normal of the disk).

First I am asked to find the flux through surface 1.

The B field makes an angle theta with the normal of the flat surface. This is an easy integration resulting in

[itex]\Phi[/itex] = B cos θ ∏ R^2

The next part asks to find the magnetic flux through surface 2. This is more complicated because the angle between the normal of each dA is different. I have not been able to think of a way to relate the angle to the area in order to integrate.

Thank you for any clues.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jacobim said:
The problem shows a picture of a surface of a half sphere. It is labeled surface 1 being the disk of the top of the half sphere. Surface 2 is the remaining surface of the half sphere. R is the radius.

The magnetic field is uniform and makes an angle theta with the vertical (or with the normal of the disk).

First I am asked to find the flux through surface 1.

The B field makes an angle theta with the normal of the flat surface. This is an easy integration resulting in

[itex]\Phi[/itex] = B cos θ ∏ R^2

The next part asks to find the magnetic flux through surface 2. This is more complicated because the angle between the normal of each dA is different. I have not been able to think of a way to relate the angle to the area in order to integrate.

Thank you for any clues.

You don't have to do the second integral at all if you know the divergence theorem. Sure you don't have something like that?

The normal to an area element on the spherical part is just ##\hat{r}##. Can't you just write down what the dot product will equal explicitly?

I looked at the divergence theorem on wikipedia. In this problem, surface 2 is not a closed surface. The boundary is the circle where the sphere is cut in half.

Use polar coordinates [itex]\theta[/itex], [itex]\phi[/itex], and [itex]\rho= R[/itex]. Taking [itex]0\le \theta\le 2\pi[/itex], [itex]0\le \phi\le \pi/2[/itex] gives the upper half sphere. And the differential of surface area will be [itex]R^2 sin^2\phi d\theta d\phi[/itex].

There is no position vector in the definition of magnetic flux.

It is just the integral of B dot dA

Jacobim said:
I looked at the divergence theorem on wikipedia. In this problem, surface 2 is not a closed surface. The boundary is the circle where the sphere is cut in half.

Dick is making a broader point. You can use the divergence theorem on the hemispherical volume and divide the surface that bounds it into the two integrals that you've been asked to calculate.

[tex]\int_{S_1} B \cdot dA_1 + \int_{S_2} B \cdot dA_2 = \int \nabla \cdot B \; dV[/tex]

You know the first integral on the left, and Maxwell's equations should tell you the value of the integral on the right. You can then solve the value of the second integral without using the techniques of integration. The problem reduces to one of simple algebra.Nevertheless, the integral should not be difficult to compute directly. As vela said, on the hemispherical surface, the normal vector [itex]dA[/itex] is in the direction of [itex]\hat r[/itex]. HallsofIvy has ponited out to you what the magnitude of the normal vector should be. You should then be able to compute [itex]B \cdot dA[/itex].

Thank you for all the replies. I will have to study this information to understand it.

Related to How do I integrate Gaus's Law for magnetism for surface of half sphere?

1. What is Gauss's Law for magnetism?

Gauss's Law for magnetism is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field to the distribution of electric currents. It states that the magnetic flux through a closed surface is equal to the total current passing through that surface.

2. How do I apply Gauss's Law for magnetism?

To apply Gauss's Law for magnetism, you will need to calculate the magnetic flux through a closed surface. This can be done by finding the dot product of the magnetic field and the surface area vector at each point on the surface. The integral of this dot product over the entire surface will give you the total magnetic flux through the surface.

3. Can Gauss's Law for magnetism be used for any surface?

Yes, Gauss's Law for magnetism can be used for any closed surface, including surfaces with complex shapes or irregular boundaries. It is a general law that applies to all types of surfaces.

4. How do I integrate Gauss's Law for magnetism for the surface of a half sphere?

To integrate Gauss's Law for magnetism for the surface of a half sphere, you will need to determine the direction of the magnetic field at each point on the surface and calculate the dot product with the surface area vector. You can then integrate this dot product over the entire surface to find the total magnetic flux through the half sphere.

5. What are the units of Gauss's Law for magnetism?

The units of Gauss's Law for magnetism are tesla (T) for the magnetic field and square meters (m^2) for the surface area. The resulting unit for magnetic flux is therefore tesla times square meters (T*m^2).