How do I find the antiderivative of(12e^2x-5)

In summary, to find the antiderivative of (12e^2x-5), we can first let u = 2x-5 and du = 2dx. Then, using the substitution method, we can change the expression to 6e^u dx. From there, we can integrate with respect to u and then change back to x to complete the problem. Remember to use parentheses to make the expressions clear and to be careful when using the chain rule.
Ry122
How do I find the antiderivative of
(12e^2x-5)
My attempt:
u=2x-5
u'=2
12u^u x 2
24e^2x-5
What do I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
You started right, u = 2x-5, du = 2 dx. I'm not sure what you're trying to do in the next step. What you should try to do is 6du = 12 dx because you want to match the 12 in your original equation. With these subsitutions your new integrand is 6e^u.

Ry122 said:
(12e^2x-5)
My attempt:
u=2x-5
u'=2
12u^u x 2
24e^2x-5
What do I do next?
Okay, the first step is correct.
We let u = 2x - 5
Then we find the differential of u, [tex]du = 2 dx \Rightarrow dx = \frac{du}{2}[/tex], now, with the substitution above, we'll change every x's in the expression into our newly-defined variable u:

[tex]\int 12 e ^ {2x - 5} dx = 12 \int e ^ u \left( \frac{du}{2} \right) = 6 \int e ^ u du = ...[/tex]
Can you go from here? After having its anti-derivative in terms of u, we should change u back to x, and complete the problem.
Is it clear? :)

Ry122 said:
(12e^2x-5)
My attempt:
u=2x-5
u'=2
12u^u x 2
24e^2x-5
What do I do next?

It would be better to write 12e^(2x-5)dx. Including that "dx" reminds you that you need to replace IT as well. If u= 2x+5, then, yes, u'= 2 so du= 2dx.
You can either think "break that 12 into 6* 2 so 6e^(2x-5) (2dx) becomes 6e^u du" or write dx= (1/2) du so 6e^(2x-5)dx becomes 12e^u ((1/2)du)= 6e^u du again.

I suspect you were thinking of the chain rule when you multiplied by 2. That applies to differentiation. The anti-derivative is the opposite of the derivative so you divide by 2 rather than multiplying.

By the way- notice my use of parentheses. e^(2x-5) is NOT the same as e^2x- 5. Most people would interpret that latter as (e^(2x))- 5 and some might even interpret it as x(e^2)- 5. Use all the parentheses you need to make your meaning clear.

Related to How do I find the antiderivative of(12e^2x-5)

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function. In other words, it is the "undoing" of a derivative.

2. How do I find the antiderivative of a function?

To find the antiderivative of a function, you can use the rules of integration. For example, for a function in the form of ax^n, the antiderivative would be (a/(n+1))x^(n+1). However, there are also many functions that do not follow a specific rule, and in those cases, you would need to use other techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What is the process for finding the antiderivative of (12e^2x-5)?

The process for finding the antiderivative of (12e^2x-5) would involve using the rules of integration. Since the function contains an exponential term, we would need to use the rule for integrating exponential functions, which is ∫e^x dx = e^x + C. Then, we would need to apply the constant multiple rule, which states that ∫af(x) dx = a∫f(x) dx. Combining these rules, the antiderivative of (12e^2x-5) would be 12∫e^2x dx - 5∫1 dx = 12(e^2x)/2 - 5x + C = 6e^2x - 5x + C.

4. Can I use a calculator to find the antiderivative of a function?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a built-in function to find the antiderivative of a given function. However, it is important to note that calculators may not be able to handle more complex functions, so it is important to also know how to find the antiderivative using integration rules and techniques.

5. Why is finding the antiderivative important in science?

Finding the antiderivative is important in science because it allows us to find the original function from its derivative. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, where knowing the original function can help in solving problems and making predictions. It also plays a crucial role in calculus, which is a fundamental concept in many scientific disciplines.