How do I differentiate (x^(3)+2x) / (x^(2)-5)?

In summary, the derivative of (x^(3)+2x) / (x^(2)-5) is equal to (3x^(2)+2)(x^(2)-5) - (x^(3)+2x)(2x) / (x^(2)-5)^2. This can be simplified further by multiplying the two products and combining like terms.
RaptorsFan

Homework Statement

(x^(3)+2x) / (x^(2)-5) d/dx = ?

Homework Equations

d/dx (f/g) = (g d/dx (f) - f d/dx (g)) / g^2

The Attempt at a Solution

d/dx y = { (x^(2)-5) d/dx (x^(3)+2x) - (x^(3)+2x) d/dx (x^(2)-5) } / (x^(2)-5)^2

This is where it gets complicated for me.

{ (x^(2)-5)(2x^(2)+2) - (x^(3)+2x)(2x) } / (x^(2)-5)^2

I am pretty sure this is at least close, if it is wrong please tell me where I went wrong, and if it is right but not simplified can you explain how to simplify it further.

Thank you in advance, I hope that I gave you appropriate information.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's almost it. Except d/dx x^(3) is 3x^(2), not 2x^(2). About the only thing you can do to simplify is expand the products in the numerator and add them.

The only mistake I noticed was where you have d/dx(x^3 + 2x) = 2x^2 + 2. That should be 3x^2 + 2.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}~=~\frac{(x^2 - 5)(3x^2 + 2) - (x^3 + 2x)(2x)}{(x^2 - 5)^2}[/tex]

You might get some simplification if you multiply the two products in the numerator and then combine like terms.

Yep that was a careless typing error, thank you for validating.

Related to How do I differentiate (x^(3)+2x) / (x^(2)-5)?

1. What is differentiation in calculus?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate at which a function is changing. In other words, it is a method of finding the slope or gradient of a curve at a specific point.

2. Why is differentiation important in calculus?

Differentiation is important in calculus because it allows us to solve a variety of real-world problems involving rates of change, optimization, and motion. It is also a fundamental concept in many fields of science and engineering.

3. How do you differentiate a function?

To differentiate a function, you must use the rules of differentiation which involve taking the derivative of each term in the function. These rules include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule.

4. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations in calculus. Differentiation finds the rate of change of a function, while integration finds the area under a curve. In other words, differentiation is the process of finding a derivative, while integration is the process of finding an antiderivative.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life application of differentiation?

One example of a real-life application of differentiation is in economics, where it is used to calculate marginal cost and marginal revenue, which are important measures in determining the profitability and pricing of a product. It is also used in physics to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object in motion.