How do I determine if a set is a subspace?

In summary, the conversation is about tackling problem #6 and ensuring understanding of how to show something is a subspace by having the zero vector and being closed under scalar multiplication and addition. The person is seeking clarification and confirmation of their logic.
Shackleford
I'm not sure how to tackle #6.

I want to make sure my logic about the rest is correct. There's still a little fuzziness on how to show something is a subspace. I know it has to have the zero vector and be closed under scalar multiplication and addition.

6.jpg

7.jpg

15.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question? Problem 6, for example, tells you do do a specific thing. Have you done it?

HallsofIvy said:
What is your question? Problem 6, for example, tells you do do a specific thing. Have you done it?

I'm not sure how to tackle #6.

I want to make sure my logic about the rest is correct. There's still a little fuzziness on how to show something is a subspace. I know it has to have the zero vector and be closed under scalar multiplication and addition.

Related to How do I determine if a set is a subspace?

1. What is the purpose of an exam review?

An exam review is designed to help students prepare for an upcoming exam by reviewing the material covered in class. It allows students to identify areas where they may need to study more and clarify any misunderstandings they may have about the material.

2. How is an exam review different from a regular class lecture?

An exam review typically focuses on summarizing and clarifying the key concepts and topics that will be covered on the exam. It also allows for more student participation and questions, whereas a regular lecture may be more focused on presenting new information.

3. Can an exam review guarantee a good grade on the exam?

An exam review is not a guarantee of a good grade, as the ultimate responsibility for studying and preparing for the exam lies with the student. However, a thorough and focused exam review can significantly improve a student's understanding and retention of the material, which can lead to a better grade on the exam.

4. How can I make the most out of an exam review?

To make the most out of an exam review, it is important to attend the review session and actively participate by asking questions and taking notes. It is also helpful to come prepared with specific topics or concepts that you would like to review.

5. Is it better to attend multiple exam reviews or just one?

It is generally recommended to attend multiple exam reviews if they are offered, as each session may cover different material or offer a different perspective on the material. However, it is also important to prioritize and attend the reviews that are most relevant to the exam and your study needs.