How do I cope with the loss of my beloved cat, Sandy?

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
In summary, Chopnik's beloved cat Sandy died today and he is feeling very sad. He has pictures of Sandy and is comforted by his tribdog. He has lost six cats and is sorry to hear that Jimmy has lost his fifth.
jimmy p
Gold Member
Today has to be the worst day of my life.

My beloved cat, Sandy died today. He was in perfect health for a 14 year old cat. I am completely heartbroken. It is like losing one of my family. He had a lovely character, all the neighbours loved him, he was the first cat all the other cats were introduced to. I can't remember life without him. To think about him not being there tomorrow is unbearable. I had to endure work today, and all I wanted to do was break down in tears all day. I haven't eaten and don't feel like it.

The greatest cat in the world. Sandy (10/05/90 - 22/10/04) RIP little one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chopnik, that is so sad! I feel so bad for you, I know how devasting it is to lose a pet, they are family. I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better. :frown:

Do you have any pictures of Sandy?

I do have pics of Sandy. I'll try get some on. Even the fifth time of burying a cat, it is still hard.

I'm at a loss for words. On one hand I like jimmyp, on the other hand I am a dog, on the other hand I should learn some compassion and on the other hand I'm such a jerk.
So all I can say is, "Sorry to hear about your cat (God's worst creation) I feel your pain so quit being such a girlieman."

tribdog said:
I feel your pain so quit being such a girlieman."

If you feel my pain also, then you must be a girlieman as well. Fetch. :wink:

Forget everything I just said. 5 cats? Did you say you've buried 5 cats? I think I speak for everyone when I say don't get another cat. or at least try to follow a few simple rules next time. 1)cats need oxygen 2)cats are not fireproof 3)that 9 lives thing is just a fairy tale.

tribdog said:
Forget everything I just said. 5 cats? Did you say you've buried 5 cats? I think I speak for everyone when I say don't get another cat. or at least try to follow a few simple rules next time. 1)cats need oxygen 2)cats are not fireproof 3)that 9 lives thing is just a fairy tale.

We have another 6 :frown: , well until mum takes 3 to Gibraltar with her.

jimmy p said:
We have another 6 :frown: , well until mum takes 3 to Gibraltar with her.
Is she taking them so you won't kill them too?

tribdog said:
Is she taking them so you won't kill them too?

No she is taking them cos she is evil and wants to split the kittens up.

4) cats do not have removeable parts. do not split them

Actually the kittens are made of Lego.

OK. I've stopped crying now. I can see to type.

Chopnik, Sweetie - Ivan and I feel so bad for you. We know so well how badly it hurts. Our Einstein (also 14 years old) will be leaving us sometime in the not too distant future and it breaks my heart to just THINK of what that might be like. :cry:

Please know that our thoughts are with you and we send you MUCH love. I'm glad you have your tribdog to cheer you up, though. :smile:

Hey, trib! Cheer up Chopnik some more! Fetch! :biggrin:

Oh bro. I am so, so sorry. I remember having the same feeling with my cats. I have lost 6 cats myself and I still miss all of them. I empathies. :frown:

Stiff upper chin mate. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Hi Jimmy,
I am really, really sorry. I know how devastating it is. My cats are like my kids. I can't believe you went into work today. I couldn't have gotten through it. The only way to avoid this kind of suffering in our lives is to not have pets. And of course that's completely out of the question! Animals give us so much and ask for so little in return.
(Tsu, please pass me a tissue. Thanks.) I can't even imagine how some people live without them.
There is an old legend (from Burma, I think) that says when a cat dies, he goes to speak to the Buddha on behalf of his master. I am sure Sandy has all kinds of wonderful things to say about you. :smile:

-Jessica

p.s. on a lighter note, while I was out googling to find the source of that legend for you, I came across a very interesting little web-site of cat facts. One of the items in particular caught my eye:

Cat Facts from History
Sir Isaac Newton, who first described the principle of gravity, also invented the swinging cat door for the convenience of his many cats.
from: http://www.kensworld.cnchost.com/kensworld/catlore.html

I didn't even know Newton was a cat person!

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmy p said:

:frown: Like Tsu said earlier, I'm sorry Jimmy p. Animal lovers have very special bonds with their pets. Losing one is always a heartbreaker. :cry:

jimmy p said:
Today has to be the worst day of my life.

My beloved cat, Sandy died today. He was in perfect health for a 14 year old cat. I am completely heartbroken. It is like losing one of my family. He had a lovely character, all the neighbours loved him, he was the first cat all the other cats were introduced to. I can't remember life without him. To think about him not being there tomorrow is unbearable. I had to endure work today, and all I wanted to do was break down in tears all day. I haven't eaten and don't feel like it.

I feel for you. My dog died 2 years ago and I still can't get over it. She was like a sibling to me. I've known her ever since I could remember. :frown: I wish I had her remains from the cremation, but my other family members decided not to keep them.

I don't think I'll ever get over it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that Dagenais. :frown: I know how deeply one can get attached to a pet. They give us so much love and ask for so little in return. Their love is unconditional.

<sniffle> :frown: So sorry to hear about your kitty :frown: They are like part of the family, and all us animal lovers can feel your pain. <sniffle> (darn cold...yeah, that's it, just a cold making me sniffle). The good thing about cats is there's always a new kitten somewhere just waiting to wriggle its way into that empty spot in your heart.

In the meantime, I guess you'll just have to settle for your tribdog. Roll over. Sit up. Beg. Good tribdog...here's a treat. :smile:

I don't know what all this crying is about. Hell, jimmy said he buried 5 cats. Only one of them died. I know how hard it is to bury a loved one, that's why I usually put them in a bag first.

OMG--I would so like to feel bad for jimmy, but I am still laughing hysterically at tribdog's posts. HA HA HA

OK, what I'd like to say to Jimmy is that if you feel like crying, then just go ahead and do it. I lost a pet once, and that's what Ma and Pa Mattson said to me. It was good advice. You let it all out, and then later you can remember how much that pet meant to you with a clear mind.

Don't be ashamed. That pet is family, and there's nothing wrong with mourning him like family.

Hi Jimmy, we lost Fattie last year and I wailed for two days, luckily we still have Meome who is 13 but going on strong. I don't know what to say, but have a good cry and always cherish the fond memory you have of your cat.

Tom Mattson said:
OMG--I would so like to feel bad for jimmy, but I am still laughing hysterically at tribdog's posts. HA HA HA

OK, what I'd like to say to Jimmy is that if you feel like crying, then just go ahead and do it. I lost a pet once, and that's what Ma and Pa Mattson said to me. It was good advice. You let it all out, and then later you can remember how much that pet meant to you with a clear mind.

Don't be ashamed. That pet is family, and there's nothing wrong with mourning him like family.

Yeah, that last post from tribby made me last. I cried myself out yesterday, so I am ok about thinking about him now. Thanks for everything guys.

So tribdog, is THAT what happened to your old girlfriend then?

Don't I wish. Everytime I try burying her a dung beetle digs her up.

tribdog said:
Don't I wish. Everytime I try burying her a dung beetle digs her up.

Those damn dung beetles. Try bury her in your backyard instead of Egypt. Costs less too.

don't want to contaminate the local water supply, besides money is no object. Any price would be a bargain.
Actually money is an object, I have such a great job, but I'm so broke right now. My boss is waiting on a big check from a client, and it is late coming. He owes me over $3500, which I was expecting yesterday. He could only afford to give me $200 this week.

tribdog said:
don't want to contaminate the local water supply, besides money is no object. Any price would be a bargain.
Actually money is an object, I have such a great job, but I'm so broke right now. My boss is waiting on a big check from a client, and it is late coming. He owes me over $3500, which I was expecting yesterday. He could only afford to give me $200 this week.

I would feel sorry for you, but

a) you are a self-confessed jerk, so therefore deserve no sympathy.
b) you are prepared to travel to Egypt to re-bury your ex, so money mustn't matter
c) you are just a stupid cat-hating dog

:wink:

Oh Jimmy how unfortunate. I like cats too... let's exchange recipes.

jimmy p said:
I would feel sorry for you, but

a) you are a self-confessed jerk, so therefore deserve no sympathy.
b) you are prepared to travel to Egypt to re-bury your ex, so money mustn't matter
c) you are just a stupid cat-hating dog

:wink:
Wow, welcome back. You done crying like a little girl? Testosterone once again being produced? Or should I get a Kleenex for that snot bubble in your nose?

wow, that was brutal. even for me. I am sorry to hear about your cat. I'm not a let me kiss your booboo, I'm a walk it off, scars build character.

tribdog said:
Wow, welcome back. You done crying like a little girl? Testosterone once again being produced? Or should I get a Kleenex for that snot bubble in your nose?

wow, that was brutal. even for me. I am sorry to hear about your cat. I'm not a let me kiss your booboo, I'm a walk it off, scars build character.

That's right, roll with the punch. You know I love you really!

No, I just went to the gym and drained some body builders, so I have testosterone to spare... maybe you need some. :-p

Here is a (hopefully) a picture of Sandy with some of the kittens and the mother. Enjoy. :frown:

Sandy

jimmy p said:
That's right, roll with the punch. You know I love you really!

No, I just went to the gym and drained some body builders, so I have testosterone to spare... maybe you need some. :-p
did you suck it out of them yourself?

Call me crazy but I don't see a picture of a cat. Are you sure there really was a cat? Did your cat disappear when you started taking your medication?

tribdog said:
did you suck it out of them yourself?

Call me crazy but I don't see a picture of a cat. Are you sure there really was a cat? Did your cat disappear when you started taking your medication?

No, I hired some goons to collect it.

Uh, try scrolling down or getting a faster connection. Medication?? Oh... for the homicidal tendencies? nah... stopped that ages ago.

Sandy is such a pretty cat! :approve: What counts is he felt very loved and had a good life with you. :smile:

and you still have tribdog. :wink:

Oh, she's SO sweet! She looks snuggly. Did she like to snuggle? And what a pretty color she has! What color is she? DARK ORANGE?!? (LOOK IVAN! IT'S AN ORANGE CAT! (ivan and i have this fun thing going on about the color of our cat... :redface: sorry...)

nice image uploader... :cool:

awww..shnoogins.. (I talk baby talk when I see kitty cats - can't help it). What a sweet picture!