How do I build a palm reader circuit using electrodes?

In summary, the group is working on a piano that uses electrodes to detect touch, but they don't know how a circuit containing an electrode looks like. They're looking for a reference to help them out. The person wrote a summary of the conversation for us.
BananaYanana
Hi everyone,

I am currently doing a project with a group of friends. The project requires us to build a palm reader which uses electrodes to read the hand's impedance and then do the things that the circuit was designed to do.

My group's idea is to build a piano. We use the electrodes as the piano keys, so when a finger touches it, the finger will complete the circuit (with the palm as the reference point).

However, we don't have any idea of how a circuit that contain an electrode looks like, especially if the electrode is aluminum tape (it is easily available and cheaper than most electrodes). So does anyone have a sample of a circuit that contains an electrode, or any reference I should go to? I tried looking in the internet but have found none so far.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
BananaYanana said:
Hi everyone,

I am currently doing a project with a group of friends. The project requires us to build a palm reader which uses electrodes to read the hand's impedance and then do the things that the circuit was designed to do.

My group's idea is to build a piano. We use the electrodes as the piano keys, so when a finger touches it, the finger will complete the circuit (with the palm as the reference point).

However, we don't have any idea of how a circuit that contain an electrode looks like, especially if the electrode is aluminum tape (it is easily available and cheaper than most electrodes). So does anyone have a sample of a circuit that contains an electrode, or any reference I should go to? I tried looking in the internet but have found none so far.

Thanks!

Start by experimenting with a DVM on its resistance setting. What kind of resistances do you measure across palms? Does it matter if the hand is wet or not? In what way does it matter?

You need to be sure to use low voltages (a couple of volts) and current limits when coupling signals to humans.

I'd recommend Googling for 'touch circuit'--there are some very simple circuits available which can sense a touch on an electrode (usually, a MOSFET gate being charged up or a circuit being completed, though there are much more sophisticated schemes out there).

As for your actual palm reader, I'd recommend an LED, a random number generator, and a hash table of fortune cookie fortunes! :smile:

berkeman said:
Start by experimenting with a DVM on its resistance setting. What kind of resistances do you measure across palms? Does it matter if the hand is wet or not? In what way does it matter?

You need to be sure to use low voltages (a couple of volts) and current limits when coupling signals to humans.

What kind of resistances are there? Basically the project requires us to measure the impedance of our palm... which I guess would include resistance and reactance of the palm.

It does matter if the hand is wet or not, the prof said that it may affect the impedance... however since I want our hands to complete the circuit instead, so I guess the impedance doesn't matter significantly, as long as it allows the current to go through?

How do I experiment with a DVM? So do I just build a simple circuit and try measuring the resistances of the palm?

MATLABdude said:
I'd recommend Googling for 'touch circuit'--there are some very simple circuits available which can sense a touch on an electrode (usually, a MOSFET gate being charged up or a circuit being completed, though there are much more sophisticated schemes out there).

As for your actual palm reader, I'd recommend an LED, a random number generator, and a hash table of fortune cookie fortunes! :smile:

Thanks for the tips, I'll try it out.

Btw, by palm reader I don't mean it necessarily reads our fortune... it's just a device that reads the palm's impedance and do whatever with that value! :D

Related to How do I build a palm reader circuit using electrodes?

1. How do I choose the right electrodes for a palm reader circuit?

The type of electrodes you choose will depend on the type of circuit you are building. Generally, silver/silver chloride electrodes are commonly used for bioelectric measurements like palm reading. They are easy to use, inexpensive, and have good conductivity. You can also use disposable electrodes or make your own using materials like aluminum foil and conductive gel.

2. How do I connect the electrodes to the circuit?

The placement of the electrodes is crucial for accurate readings. Make sure to place them on specific points of the hand, such as the fingertips, palm, and wrist. The electrodes should be connected to the circuit using wires, and the connections should be secure to avoid any interference or false readings.

3. What components do I need to build a palm reader circuit?

In addition to the electrodes, you will need a microcontroller, a power source, and some basic electronic components like resistors and capacitors. You may also need a breadboard or PCB to prototype and assemble the circuit. Some optional components include an LCD display for visual output and a buzzer for audio feedback.

4. How do I program the microcontroller for the palm reader circuit?

The programming language and code will depend on the type of microcontroller you are using. Generally, you will need to write a code that reads the electrical signals from the electrodes and converts them into a readable format. You can find sample codes and tutorials online for popular microcontrollers like Arduino.

5. How accurate are palm reader circuits?

Palm reader circuits can provide accurate readings if designed and calibrated correctly. However, they should not be relied upon as a scientific tool, as the readings may vary depending on factors like skin moisture and temperature. It is important to keep in mind that palm reading is not a scientifically proven method, and the results should be taken with a grain of salt.