How do I approach these problems? Probability

In summary, the conversation discussed two different problems. The first problem involved choosing marbles from a cookie jar and a shoebox and calculating the probability of selecting two red marbles from the shoebox. The second problem involved tossing a coin multiple times and finding the probability of getting more heads than tails. The conversation also mentioned various topics such as payoffs, growth, conditional probability, and Baye's Theorem that could be used to solve these problems. The individual seeking assistance was unsure of how to approach these problems and was looking for input. The conversation was then moved to the homework forums as per the forum guidelines.
XodoX
I have the following two problems and I don't know how to approach them.

A cookie jar has 3 red marbles and 1 white marble. A shoebox has 1 red marble and 1 white marble. Three marbles are chosen at random without replacement from the cookie jar and placed in the shoebox. Then 2 marbles are chosen at random without replacement from the shoebox. What is the probability that both marbles from the shoebox are red?

A fair coin is tossed n times, where n is an even integer. What is the probability that the number of heads exceeds the number of tails?

We talked about payoffs, Simple and Compound Growth,Conditional Probability, Law of total probability, Baye's Theorem. Simple math is obviously not enough, I need to prove it using those topics we covered. I'm not quite sure how to approach those problems. Any input?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework?

Moderator's note: thread moved to homework forums.

No...

Please allow me to clarify something from our forum guidelines:

... homework assignments or textbook style exercises for which you are seeking assistance are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area--not in blogs, visitor messages, PMs, or the main technical forums. This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study.

Since this is a textbook-style exercise, I moved it to the homework forums. Sorry if this created any confusion.

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is usually expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty. For example, the probability of rolling a six on a standard dice is 1/6 or approximately 0.17.

2. How do I calculate probability?

The probability of an event occurring is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you want to calculate the probability of drawing a red card from a deck of playing cards, there are 26 red cards out of 52 total cards, so the probability is 26/52 or 1/2.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual experiments or observations and may vary from the theoretical probability due to chance or other factors.

4. How do I approach problems involving dependent events?

Two events are dependent if the outcome of one event affects the outcome of the other. To calculate the probability of dependent events, you will need to use the multiplication rule, which states that the probability of two dependent events occurring together is equal to the probability of the first event multiplied by the probability of the second event given that the first event has already occurred.

5. How do I use probability to make predictions?

Probability can be used to make predictions by calculating the likelihood of a specific event occurring. However, it is important to remember that probability does not guarantee an outcome and is only an estimate based on the available information. It is also important to consider other factors that may influence the outcome of an event.