Probability/Combinatorial Question

• Thread starter Rellek
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find the probability of picking exactly one blue marble and n red marbles out of a total of n+m marbles, with the order being irrelevant. This can be solved using the hypergeometric distribution, where N is the total number of marbles, m is the number of blue marbles, and n is the number of red marbles. The probability of picking one blue marble and n red marbles is the same for all possible arrangements, and can be calculated by multiplying the probabilities of selecting each marble in the desired order. This can be simplified to a formula of n*(n-1)/[(n+m)*(n+m-1)] for any desired outcome, resulting in the same final probability.
Rellek

Homework Statement

[/B]
Now, this problem is not the typical stars and bars problem. I'm actually trying to solve for this:
If I had n red marbles and m blue marble, I want the probability that I pick n red marbles and only 1 blue marble. The order is irrelevant, meaning, the only thing that is required is that after I have picked n+1 marbles, I had exactly n red marbles and 1 blue marble. How do I do this?

Homework Equations

(Number of possibilities for picking 1 marble and n red marbles)/(Total number of possiblities) = the probability

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I thought of it like this.

I have n+1 open little crates (distinct boxes), and n indistinct objects (my red marbles). I am looking for the amount of ways to organize my n red marbles into n+1 crates, with the restriction that none of the crates can have more than one marble in it. By doing this, I can find the ways that I can pick exactly n marbles and leave one empty crate. This is basically the same thing as finding the ways that I can pick n marbles and 1 blue marble, although I am not really taking into account the amount of ways I can choose from the m blue marbles.

I'm actually looking for a general way to find the amount of ways that I could organize n red marbles and k blue marbles in n+k slots, where each slot has exactly one item. Is there already a general formula for this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rellek said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Now, this problem is not the typical stars and bars problem. I'm actually trying to solve for this:
If I had n red marbles and m blue marble, I want the probability that I pick n red marbles and only 1 blue marble. The order is irrelevant, meaning, the only thing that is required is that after I have picked n+1 marbles, I had exactly n red marbles and 1 blue marble. How do I do this?

Homework Equations

(Number of possibilities for picking 1 marble and n red marbles)/(Total number of possiblities) = the probability

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I thought of it like this.

I have n+1 open little crates (distinct boxes), and n indistinct objects (my red marbles). I am looking for the amount of ways to organize my n red marbles into n+1 crates, with the restriction that none of the crates can have more than one marble in it. By doing this, I can find the ways that I can pick exactly n marbles and leave one empty crate. This is basically the same thing as finding the ways that I can pick n marbles and 1 blue marble, although I am not really taking into account the amount of ways I can choose from the m blue marbles.

I'm actually looking for a general way to find the amount of ways that I could organize n red marbles and k blue marbles in n+k slots, where each slot has exactly one item. Is there already a general formula for this? Thanks!

Yes, there is a formula for P(exactly k blue marbles chosen); it is given by the so-called hypergeometric distribution; see, eg.,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergeometric_distribution
http://stattrek.com/probability-distributions/hypergeometric.aspx
In your case you have N = n+m objects, m of type I and n of type II. You draw n+1 items without replacement, and you want the probability of getting exactly k = 1 type I in your sample.

Basically, you can have RRR...RB or RR...RBR or... or BRR...RR, each of which (you can show) has the same probability. How many of these are there? What is the probability of anyone of them, say P(RRR...RB)? Here is a hint to get you started: the first R has probability n/(n+m); that leaves n+m-1 balls, of which n-1 are red and m are blue. So, the probability of the second R is (n-1)/(n+m-1). Therefore, the probability that the first two are red is n*(n-1)/[(n+m)*(n+m-1)]. Keep going like that. Finally, what about that final B? Before picking the B there remain n+m-n = m balls, of which all are blue, so the probability of that final B is m/m = 1. To focus your understanding, look an another outcome, such as BRRR...R, and compute a formula for its probability; you will see that it gives the same final result as for RR...RB.

Related to Probability/Combinatorial Question

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood or chance that a particular event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual experiments or observations and may vary from the theoretical probability.

4. What is a combination?

A combination is a selection of items from a larger group without regard to the order in which they are chosen. For example, choosing 3 toppings from a list of 8 for a pizza would be a combination.

5. How is the number of combinations calculated?

The number of combinations can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of items and r represents the number of items being chosen. The exclamation point (!) represents the factorial function.