How do electrostatic feilds impact cloud chambers?

In summary, while alpha particles and the resulting ionization are important for visualizing radiation tracks in an expansion cloud chamber, a static electric field appears to be necessary to see the tracks.
CloudChamber
Hello all,
I just finished building an expansion cloud chamber this weekend and have started experimenting with it. Everything looks solid (vacuum, seal etc) but I'm curious about the role my electrostatic field, generated from a bug zapper and a circuit, plays in visualizing the ionizing radiation. I know it sweeps the air of charge. However, I'm not quite sure why it is so crucial to see the tracks my Americium 241 (taken from a smoke detector) produces through emission of alpha particles and the resulting ionization- I couldn't see anything without the electrostatic field. In short, I'm wondering specifically how an imposed neutral charge (electrostatic field) helps to see the tracks and how it can have such a profound influence on whether or not they are visualized.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The alpha particles produce a track of ionisation...+ and - charges as they pass through the air in the chamber. If you did not apply an electric field these + and - charges would recombine and tracks would be more difficult to see (if at all).
The + or - charged ions produce strong nucleation sites for vapour to condense and produce droplets, ie tracks.
The applied field separates the + and - ions

truesearch said:
The alpha particles produce a track of ionisation...+ and - charges as they pass through the air in the chamber. If you did not apply an electric field these + and - charges would recombine and tracks would be more difficult to see (if at all).
The + or - charged ions produce strong nucleation sites for vapour to condense and produce droplets, ie tracks.
The applied field separates the + and - ions

So you are saying that the resulting ions will separate further from their electrons due to the E field and delay recombination? In my experience, you can still see tracks without needing any applied field.
Is this because of the cloud chamber using expansion rather than ice and alcohol? Thogh I seem to remember being shown a demo when I was at School of an expansion cloud chamber in which you could see tracks without applying any E field.
I wonder what's different.

Yes, sophiecentaur, it's an expansion type cloud chamber, so creating a supersaturated environment relies on adiabatic expansion (achieved by pulling abruptly on a syringe) rather than dry ice. My diffusion cloud chamber, as you mentioned, can function without any electric field. Does anyone know, then, what prevents (or delays, at least) recombination in a diffusion cloud chamber?

Last edited:
We have one expansion chamber and several diffusion chambers.
The expansion chamber produces a general 'fog' of mist (alcohol) if the high voltage is not connected so no 'tracks' can be seen.
The diffusion chambers are small plastic containers and the plastic top needs to be electrostatically charged by rubbing with a duster otherwise tracks cannot be seen.

Interesting... the diffusion cloud chamber I built was actually made from glass and was quite large (I used a basketball case). I didn't charge it electrostatically at all, but it worked perfectly. I used this design:

http://http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~adf4/cloud.html

The instructions didn't call for creation of an electrostatic field, so I'm wondering if this is the type of cloud chamber you are referring to. Is the design of yours different?

Hello everyone,
I fired up the cloud chamber again and noticed that while my americium 241 produced a plethora of tracks from ionizing radiation, the beta source, strontium 90, produced none. Does anyone know if beta radiation can be visualized in an expansion cloud chamber?

Related to How do electrostatic feilds impact cloud chambers?

1. How do electrostatic fields affect the formation of cloud chambers?

Electrostatic fields play a crucial role in the formation of cloud chambers. When a positively charged particle passes through the chamber, it ionizes the surrounding gas molecules. The resulting ions are then attracted to a negatively charged plate, causing a cloud-like trail to form. Without an electrostatic field, the charged particles would not be able to ionize the gas and no cloud trail would be visible.

2. What is the purpose of using an electrostatic field in cloud chambers?

The main purpose of using an electrostatic field in cloud chambers is to help visualize and track the paths of charged particles. The charged particles interact with the field to form cloud-like trails, making it easier to observe their paths and determine their characteristics.

3. How do different strengths of electrostatic fields impact the visibility of cloud chamber trails?

The strength of the electrostatic field directly affects the visibility of cloud chamber trails. A stronger field will result in more visible and defined trails, while a weaker field may result in faint or less distinct trails. Adjusting the strength of the field can also help differentiate between particles with different charges and energies.

4. Can electrostatic fields be used to identify different types of particles in cloud chambers?

Yes, electrostatic fields can be used to identify different types of particles in cloud chambers. The paths and characteristics of charged particles can vary depending on their charge and energy. By adjusting the strength of the electrostatic field and observing the resulting cloud chamber trails, scientists can determine the type of particle passing through the chamber.

5. Are electrostatic fields the only factor that affects the formation of cloud chamber trails?

No, electrostatic fields are not the only factor that affects the formation of cloud chamber trails. Other factors such as gas pressure, temperature, and humidity can also influence the visibility and characteristics of the trails. Additionally, the design and construction of the chamber itself can also impact the formation of cloud trails.