Optimizing Sensitivity in a DIY Cloud Chamber: How Much High Voltage is Needed?

In summary, to improve the sensitivity of your cloud chamber, you can apply a high voltage between the floor and a ring at the top of the chamber. A 2kV ballast should be enough for a 20cm tall chamber, but make sure to insulate the voltage from any alcohol vapors to avoid potential hazards.
Lomax
I've built a simple cloud chamber using a peltier cooling element and I'm able to see some tracks which is really exciting. But now I've seen in many places that you can apply a high voltage between the floor and a ring at the top of the chamber to further improve sensitivity, and also to force activity down into the sensitive layer. My question is, how much voltage would be needed? I have a 2kv ballast to hand which I'd like to try but I doubt if this would be enough for a 20cm tall chamber? Also, I'm a little concerned about the safety of combining high voltage with alcohol vapour - isn't there a significant risk of explosion in case of arcing? Any input much appreciated!

Lomax

Physics news on Phys.org
provides some helpful guidelines for determining the appropriate voltage to use in your cloud chamber. He suggests the following: "For a 20 cm tall chamber, a 2kV ballast should be sufficient. This should provide enough of a potential difference between the bottom of the chamber and the top ring to draw activity down into the sensitive layer." In terms of safety, it is important to make sure that the voltage is insulated from any alcohol vapors in the chamber to avoid arcing or explosions. You can do this by using an insulating material between the high-voltage source and the chamber itself.

Related to Optimizing Sensitivity in a DIY Cloud Chamber: How Much High Voltage is Needed?

1. How does a cloud chamber work?

A cloud chamber is a device used to detect and visualize particles such as cosmic rays or radioactive decay. It works by creating a supersaturated vapour of alcohol or water vapor in a sealed chamber. When a charged particle passes through the chamber, it ionizes the vapour, creating a trail of tiny droplets that can be seen as a white line.

2. What is the purpose of the high voltage in a cloud chamber?

The high voltage in a cloud chamber is used to create an electric field within the chamber. This electric field helps to accelerate charged particles, making them more likely to interact with the vapour and create visible trails.

3. How much voltage is needed for a cloud chamber?

The voltage needed for a cloud chamber depends on the specific design and size of the chamber. Generally, a voltage of around 500-1000 volts is sufficient to produce visible particle trails. However, larger chambers may require higher voltages.

4. Is it dangerous to use high voltage in a cloud chamber?

The voltage used in a cloud chamber is relatively low and is not considered dangerous. However, caution should always be taken when working with electricity, and proper safety measures should be followed.

5. How can I build a cloud chamber with high voltage at home?

Building a cloud chamber with high voltage at home can be dangerous and should only be attempted by those with proper knowledge and safety precautions. It is recommended to purchase a commercially available cloud chamber kit that includes a high voltage power supply. Alternatively, instructions for building a homemade cloud chamber can be found online, but caution should be taken when working with high voltage.