How do drugs affect spider behavior?

In summary, the conversation discusses a video about Canadian nature films and a recent earthquake experienced by one of the participants. The video is praised for its scientific narration but criticized for its portrayal of the effects of crack cocaine on spiders. The earthquake is described in detail, with the participants discussing their reactions and theories about "earthquake weather." One participant also shares a personal story about their father predicting an earthquake based on the atmosphere. The conversation then shifts to a discussion about spiders and their behavior.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Fascinating. I love Canadian nature films.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I love that video...The narrator is great cause he uses scientific terms, but when it comes to the pot spider he says something to the effect of it making a hammock and watching the other spiders...If this is the same vid. (can't watch it on dialup)

I found the effects of crack cocaine on the spider to be somewhat less believable.

I was buying it until the one spider obeyed the restraining order. Everyone knows those don't work.

Math Is Hard said:

I saw it before .. several months ago. maybe it was pf

Math Is Hard said:

Gees, they didn't mention that if given enough chocolate spiders will patch the holes in your clothing. :cool:

tribdog said:
I was buying it until the one spider obeyed the restraining order. Everyone knows those don't work.

:smile: Good catch!

Ahahaha this is great!

I love that video!

whoa - we just had an earthquake here

Really? How was it? and any aftershocks

not a biggie - it was a 3.0 in El Segundo which is not too far from me. I heard the kitchen start rattling first and then it rolled through the living room with a big bump. Scared the cat.

Ha ha...I have to say that would be fun once or twice...

I have heard people talk about "earthquake weather" and we had weird weather today. Hazy and very hot with warm winds. The weather website said it was 90 degrees F at sundown.

Math Is Hard said:
I have heard people talk about "earthquake weather" and we had weird weather today. Hazy and very hot with warm winds. The weather website said it was 90 degrees F at sundown.
YUCK!

I hope you don't have another earthquake.

binzing said:
Ha ha...I have to say that would be fun once or twice...

They are kinda fun when they are small and don't knock stuff down (like dishes and freeways).

Evo said:
I hope you don't have another earthquake.
Jelly says she hopes so, too!

Math Is Hard said:

I think there is something to this claim for two reasons: First, my dad inadvertently predicted the 1971 Sylmar quake. The night before while we were all seated for dinner, out of the blue, he looked out the window and announced that this was earthquake weather. He never said that before or since. And beyond this, there was a strange calm in the air that night. It is difficult to identify precisely any characteristic, but a strange calm is the best that I can recall. Perhaps it relates to reduced activity for birds and other animals - possibly sensing precursive activity. Or, maybe we can sense pressure changes in advance of some quakes... And there is some evidence that Radon is released in advance of some quakes, so I wonder if this might have an effect on the atmosphere. I distinctly recall that the sun was setting when we sat for dinner, and the sky did look unusual. We all noticed it, and this seemed to be what caught my dad's eye. [edit: Hazy is a word that sort of works for me, but I have thought about this from time to time, and I suspect that there may even be something to the color of the sky... not sure. It has been too long]

Years later I asked him about this. He didn't even remember saying it, but having grown up in earthquake country, he guessed that it was instinctive. He didn't recall anyone telling him about it or what might be the indicators.

Last edited:
Maybe it was vengance from the spider gods for making fun of them :eek:

Ivan Seeking said:
I think there is something to this claim for two reasons: First, my dad inadvertently predicted the 1971 Sylmar quake. The night before while we were all seated for dinner, out of the blue, he looked out the window and announced that this was earthquake weather. He never said that before or since. And beyond this, there was a strange calm in the air that night. It is difficult to identify precisely any characteristic, but a strange calm is the best that I can recall. Perhaps it relates to reduced activity for birds and other animals - possibly sensing precursive activity. Or, maybe we can sense pressure changes in advance of some quakes... And there is some evidence that Radon is released in advance of some quakes, so I wonder if this might have an effect on the atmosphere. I distinctly recall that the sun was setting when we sat for dinner, and the sky did look unusual. We all noticed it, and this seemed to be what caught my dad's eye. [edit: Hazy is a word that sort of works for me, but I have thought about this from time to time, and I suspect that there may even be something to the color of the sky... not sure. It has been too long]

Years later I asked him about this. He didn't even remember saying it, but having grown up in earthquake country, he guessed that it was instinctive. He didn't recall anyone telling him about it or what might be the indicators.

I think there's something to it, also.

edward said:
Maybe it was vengance from the spider gods for making fun of them :eek:

I treat spiders pretty well. I don't even mind when one takes up residence in my kitchen cabinet since they catch and eat the indian meal moths.

What is a cap?

wolram said:
What is a cap?

A bullet.

lisab said:
A bullet.

Is this some thing rude, you Americans and your slang.

Haha, wolram and your Cockney...or whatever form of Brit slang you use...

Related to How do drugs affect spider behavior?

1. How do drugs affect spiders?

The effects of drugs on spiders vary depending on the type and dosage of the drug. Some drugs can cause changes in behavior, such as hyperactivity or lethargy, while others can affect the spider's ability to spin webs or hunt for prey. In some cases, drug use may even lead to death.

2. Can spiders become addicted to drugs?

While it is possible for spiders to become physically dependent on certain drugs, there is no evidence to suggest that they can become addicted in the same way that humans can. Spiders do not have the same brain chemistry as humans, so the concept of addiction may not apply to them in the same way.

3. What drugs have been tested on spiders?

Scientists have tested a variety of drugs on spiders, including psychoactive substances like caffeine, LSD, and marijuana, as well as pharmaceuticals like antidepressants and antipsychotics. These studies have helped researchers better understand the effects of drugs on spiders and their behavior.

4. Do drugs affect different types of spiders differently?

Yes, the effects of drugs can vary between different species of spiders. For example, a drug that may have a stimulant effect on one species may have a sedative effect on another. Additionally, the size and age of the spider can also play a role in how it responds to drugs.

5. How do drugs affect a spider's web-building ability?

Some drugs have been found to impair a spider's ability to spin webs by affecting its coordination and fine motor skills. This can result in irregular or incomplete webs. Other drugs, however, can enhance a spider's web-building ability, causing them to create larger and more intricate webs than usual.