Has Anyone Ever Taken a Drug Causing Major Psychological Problem?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential psychological side effects of taking prednisone. The speakers share their experiences with strange reactions to medication and how they handle it in public settings. They also mention the known mental effects of corticosteroids and advise against adjusting dosage without consulting a physician. The conversation concludes with a reminder that medical advice cannot be given on the forum.
kyphysics
I took prednisone and it seemed to have caused some weird psychological side effects. It's scary and embarrassing and I don't want to discuss it too much right now (although open to doing so later in the thread possibly).

I'm just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and then embarrassed themselves in a public setting? If so, how/when did you realize it was caused by the drug? Did you go and try to explain the reaction to people later?

Biology news on Phys.org
On a few occassions I have had rather strange reactions to medications, sometimes mental, sometimes physical.

When I catch myself doing, have done, something out of character, I generally apologize;
" Oops, sorry. I am on some new meds/medication and it is really messing with me!" Most people here in the USA will drop the subject and not ask for details.

Then I reduce my interaction with people (may be in a group but listen much more than talk) until I have either adjusted to the meds or adjusted the dose.

By the way, as I recall, the prednisone family is rather known for mental effects for many people. Talk to your doctor about other related versions that may have fewer mental effects.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes jim mcnamara
@Tom.G is correct. Corticosteroids are a family of drugs/molecules that may have profound effects on patients. In humans they are produced in adrenal glands on top of each kidney. Prednisone is one of many.
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/4812-corticosteroids
--So the answer to your question above is yes.

Do not try to adjust dosage on your own. The results can be worse rather than better.
See your physician. PF cannot tell you what to do.

We cannot provide medical diagnosis on PF.

1. What is a drug-induced major psychological problem?

A drug-induced major psychological problem is a mental health disorder that is caused by the use of certain drugs or medications. It can range from mild symptoms, such as anxiety or mood swings, to more severe conditions like psychosis or hallucinations.

2. What are some common drugs that can cause major psychological problems?

Some common drugs that have been known to cause major psychological problems include stimulants such as amphetamines and cocaine, hallucinogens like LSD and PCP, and certain prescription medications like antidepressants and antipsychotics.

3. How do drugs cause major psychological problems?

Drugs can cause major psychological problems by altering the brain's chemical balance and affecting brain regions responsible for mood, perception, and behavior. They can also trigger underlying mental health conditions or exacerbate existing ones.

4. Can drug-induced major psychological problems be treated?

Yes, drug-induced major psychological problems can be treated. Treatment may include therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. It is important to seek help from a mental health professional as soon as possible to address the issue and prevent further complications.

5. How can drug-induced major psychological problems be prevented?

The best way to prevent drug-induced major psychological problems is to avoid using drugs or to use them only as prescribed by a doctor. It is also important to be aware of the potential side effects of any medication and to talk to a healthcare provider if you experience any concerning symptoms.