How do CTCs allow a universe to self-create?

In summary: OC3...ature=youtu.beSo recently I saw a video with Richard Gott explaining a self-creating universe. There's three quick questions I'm confused about that I did not understand very well from the video:1. How does a closed time-like curve allow the universe to self-create? Wouldn't the universe just go around the time-loop? How did it get past the time-loop to create a universe?2. What is a Godel metric universe?3. I know this question sounds really silly, but is the closed time-like curve an existing property of the universe that was 'just there' so
relatively-uncertain
So recently I saw a video with Richard Gott explaining a self-creating universe. There's three quick questions I'm confused about that I did not understand very well from the video:
1. How does a closed time-like curve allow the universe to self-create? Wouldn't the universe just go around the time-loop? How did it get past the time-loop to create a universe?
2. What is a Godel metric universe?
3. I know this question sounds really silly, but is the closed time-like curve an existing property of the universe that was 'just there' so it was infinitely forming different branches of universes?
Thanks! I would really appreciate any answers!

Space news on Phys.org
relatively-uncertain said:
So recently I saw a video with Richard Gott explaining a self-creating universe. There's three quick questions I'm confused about that I did not understand very well from the video:
1. How does a closed time-like curve allow the universe to self-create? Wouldn't the universe just go around the time-loop? How did it get past the time-loop to create a universe?
3. I know this question sounds really silly, but is the closed time-like curve an existing property of the universe that was 'just there' so it was infinitely forming different branches of universes?

1. A closed time-like curve is another (more precise) way of describing the concept of "self-creation". Wikipedia has a decent introduction into the concept:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_loop
2. It's a universe with swirling, uniform dust and a cosmological constant. Wikipedia again has some useful info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel_metric
3. Closed time-like loops are static. You don't get a "new" universe by going around the loop. If there is a single point along the loop where a new universe is created, then exactly one universe is created.

Likes relatively-uncertain
relatively-uncertain said:

The rest of the discussion may explain some of what you are missing:

I've watched this debate before, and some of what came before what you posted would be relevant.

There is a much more detailed explanation of the issues involved here:

Related to How do CTCs allow a universe to self-create?

1. How do CTCs contribute to the self-creation of a universe?

CTCs, or closed timelike curves, allow for the possibility of time travel, which can lead to the creation of a universe. This is because CTCs allow for information and matter to be sent back in time, potentially creating a loop of cause and effect that could result in the formation of a universe.

2. Can CTCs explain the origin of the universe?

CTCs are just one of many theories that attempt to explain the origin of the universe. While they provide a possible mechanism for the self-creation of a universe, there is currently no consensus among scientists about the true origins of the universe.

3. Are CTCs scientifically proven?

The existence of CTCs is a theoretical concept and has not been scientifically proven. However, there are some theories and mathematical models that suggest the possibility of CTCs being formed under certain conditions.

4. How do CTCs relate to the concept of time?

CTCs challenge our understanding of time and the concept of cause and effect. In a universe with CTCs, events can occur in a non-linear fashion, making it difficult to determine the true sequence of events. This can lead to paradoxes and other paradoxical scenarios.

5. Could CTCs be used to manipulate the past or future?

In theory, CTCs could allow for time travel and the manipulation of events in the past or future. However, this is purely speculative and there is currently no evidence that suggests that CTCs could actually be used in this way.