Questions: Gott-Li Can a Universe Create Itself?

• A
  • Thread starter AntHak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the Gott-Li model proposes a self-creating universe through the concept of a closed timelike curve. The laws of physics are seen as existing outside of the universe, and there is no clear creation event in this model. Some may view this as a solution to the first cause problem, but others do not see a creation event at all.
AntHak
Hello, this is my first post here. I have a couple questions regarding the Gott-Li model of a self creating universe, proposed in "Can the Universe Create Itself?", Phys. Rev. D 58, (1998).
First, I should disclose that I am an amateur and may hold some misconceptions. I tried to keep these questions based in science but, recognize that some may border philosophical, I hope they are valid nonetheless.

1. I was under the impression that the laws of physics would be emergent in this model, but the author's closing statement "Do the laws of physics prevent the Universe from being its own mother?" confuses me. Does this suggest the laws of physics governed the existence of the initial Universe/CTC?

2. If a CTC caused our inflationary Universe/Multiverse, couldn't this have happened more than once (i.e. multiple/infinite CTCs creating their own inflationary multiverses separate from our own)?

3. To what extent is the Universe created from nothing in this model? Would the initial CTC be a "brute fact", or room for "turtles" farther down?

Thank you for any answers!

Space news on Phys.org
AntHak said:
1. I was under the impression that the laws of physics would be emergent in this model, but the author's closing statement "Do the laws of physics prevent the Universe from being its own mother?" confuses me. Does this suggest the laws of physics governed the existence of the initial Universe/CTC?
The entire paper is based on the idea of a 'closed timelike curve', which is a particular solution to the equations of general relativity. This would seem to require that the laws of physics, at least for GR, exist outside or separate of the universe in some sense.

AntHak said:
3. To what extent is the Universe created from nothing in this model? Would the initial CTC be a "brute fact", or room for "turtles" farther down?
In my view there doesn't seem to be any creation event in this model. If we follow a worldline through the CTC it simply comes back around to its original starting point. There's no point at which beyond this point the universe doesn't exist.

Likes AntHak
Drakkith said:
The entire paper is based on the idea of a 'closed timelike curve', which is a particular solution to the equations of general relativity. This would seem to require that the laws of physics, at least for GR, exist outside or separate of the universe in some sense.In my view there doesn't seem to be any creation event in this model. If we follow a worldline through the CTC it simply comes back around to its original starting point. There's no point at which beyond this point the universe doesn't exist.
Thanks for explaining Drakkith!

J. Richard Gott also has a few interviews and lectures explaining further available on YouTube; I believe he said a CTC could explain the first cause problem (the Universe essentially caused itself). However, I agree with your interpretation, I don't see any creation event in this model.

Likes Drakkith

1. How can a universe create itself?

According to the theory of cosmic inflation, the universe can create itself through a process of rapid expansion and cooling. This process is thought to have occurred shortly after the Big Bang and is supported by evidence from the cosmic microwave background radiation.

2. Is it possible for something to come from nothing?

The concept of something coming from nothing is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories, such as the Big Bang theory, suggest that the universe began with a singularity that contained all matter and energy. However, the origins of this singularity are still unknown and remain a mystery.

3. Could there be multiple universes?

There are various theories, such as the multiverse theory, that suggest the existence of multiple universes. However, these theories are still speculative and have yet to be proven. It is also difficult to gather evidence for the existence of other universes, making it a topic of ongoing research and debate.

4. What role does gravity play in the creation of the universe?

Gravity is a fundamental force that plays a crucial role in the creation and evolution of the universe. It is responsible for the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets, and helps to shape the structure of the universe. Without gravity, the universe would not have been able to form and evolve into its current state.

5. Can we ever fully understand the origins of the universe?

The origins of the universe are still a topic of ongoing research and debate, and it is unclear if we will ever be able to fully understand them. Our current understanding of the universe is limited by our technology and knowledge, and there may always be unanswered questions about its origins. However, scientists continue to make advancements and discoveries that help us get closer to understanding the universe's beginnings.