How competitive is graduate physics?

In summary: Generally they seem to like to see you've done something "important" in research, but you can define important in a lot of different ways. So, yeah, research is pretty much king, but it's not like you're doomed without it.In summary, the speaker is a senior in high school who has been earning college credits. They have finished their liberal education requirements and are now considering a career in physics instead of medicine. They are curious about the competitiveness of top physics graduate schools and the necessary requirements, including GPA and entrance tests. They also ask about ways to increase their chances of getting admitted, such as research and recommendation letters.
jeremmed77
I am currently a senior in high school who has been earning college credits and high school credits simultaneously for the last two years. This allowed me to finish my liberal education requirements last semester. Up until recently, my goal was to go into medicine, but now I feel that I would not enjoy that career path. This has lead me to do a lot of research on a career in physics. I have always been fascinated that our universe can be described in mathematics. The doctor I have been shadowing told me that physicists are generally people who would take apart televisions, computers, and other electronics at home. Is this true? Personally, I enjoy knowing the physics/chemistry behind how the combustion engine works instead of knowing how to take the engine apart. Is this a sign that I should not be pursuing a career in this field?

I was also wondering how competitive it is to get into a top thirty physics graduate school compared to medical school? When I ask how competitive, I mean what type of grade point average would you need? The University of Minnesota is ranked at twenty six (Or something close to that number) which will be one of my top choices. What is the entrance test you are required to take as an undergraduate student in order to apply to graduate school (I am assuming they have something similar to the MCAT)? What increases your chances of getting admitted into a phd program? Is it volunteer work, research, or just a good letter of recommendation? Sorry for the long question. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Some physicists take things apart and/or put them back together, but that might be a bit more common among engineers. Physicists in general are just very curious about how things work or why things behave the way that they do. That's not necessarily a practical interest, mind you (a lot of physics research has no immediate application).

As for grad schools, I'm not sure how to rank competitiveness. My impression is that there is no hard and fast rule for GPA, test scores, or anything else, though I think there's usually a cutoff GPA of 3.0 or something similar below which you'll have a really hard time getting in.

Research experience as an undergrad is a great thing to have on your application. If your school doesn't offer anything substantial (like mine--a small liberal arts school) you'll want to apply to summer REUs or similar programs. I've also heard that letters of recommendation can really make or break an application, so take whatever opportunities you have to get to know your professors (the applications I filled out all asked for 2 letters from professors and 1 from elsewhere). And yes, you'll most likely have to take both the general GRE and physics GRE (look it up!) I did pretty poorly on the PGRE and I still got into a decent program with only one summer as an intern at a national lab (not even doing real research).

If you also develop strong research interests during your undergrad, you might find faculty at otherwise mediocre institutions who are doing great research and are well-respected in their field, so overall ranking might not be so important.

jeremmed77 said:
I was also wondering how competitive it is to get into a top thirty physics graduate school compared to medical school? When I ask how competitive, I mean what type of grade point average would you need?

There isn't a standard ranking for physics graduate schools, because schools can be very good at one thing and then have either bad or totally non-existent expertise in another. The important thing in physics grad school is the thesis adviser.

Also GPA doesn't mean a much about. A lower (but still decent) GPA in which you take really, really hard classes is better than a high GPA in which you take easy classes. It's a lot better to get a B- in general relativity than it is to get an A+ in intro algebra.

What is the entrance test you are required to take as an undergraduate student in order to apply to graduate school (I am assuming they have something similar to the MCAT)?

You take the physics GRE's, but they seem to be used different than MCAT's.

What increases your chances of getting admitted into a phd program? Is it volunteer work, research, or just a good letter of recommendation? Sorry for the long question. Thanks in advance!

Research, good letter of recommendations, decent GPA's in hard courses.

Related to How competitive is graduate physics?

1. How does the competitiveness of graduate physics programs compare to other fields?

Graduate physics programs are generally considered to be highly competitive, similar to other STEM fields such as engineering and mathematics. The number of applicants typically exceeds the number of available spots, making it a competitive process to gain admission.

2. What factors contribute to the competitiveness of graduate physics?

The main factors that contribute to the competitiveness of graduate physics programs include the limited number of spots available, the high level of academic rigor and research involved, and the strong demand for graduates in industries such as technology, healthcare, and defense.

3. How important are grades in determining the competitiveness of graduate physics programs?

While strong grades are certainly important in the admissions process, they are not the only factor that is considered. Research experience, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores can also play a significant role in determining the competitiveness of an applicant.

4. Are there any specific skills or experiences that can make an applicant more competitive for graduate physics programs?

In addition to strong academic performance and research experience, having advanced mathematics and programming skills can make an applicant more competitive for graduate physics programs. Experience in internships or research projects related to the field of physics can also be beneficial.

5. How can I improve my chances of being accepted into a competitive graduate physics program?

To improve your chances of being accepted into a competitive graduate physics program, it is important to have a strong academic background, research experience, and a well-written personal statement. Networking and making connections with professors in the field can also be helpful in gaining insight and potential recommendations.