How can you create strong and secure passwords?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of strong passwords, which must be changed every few weeks, contain at least 6 digits, and include at least one letter, digit, and special character. The speaker suggests using a two-digit number and converting it into a password by using a triangle pattern on the keyboard. However, this method may not work in situations where certain symbols are not allowed. Additionally, it may also be easy for password hackers to guess these types of passwords.
Andre
A simple one, but maybe helpful for strong passwords.

So your employer wants you to change passwords every few weeks and they must be at least 6 digits, containing at least one letter, at least one digit and at least one special character like #@ etc. Moreover you could only use each pw once. After I ran out of family members I tried something else. I only needed to memorize a two digit number.

47 would get 47v$&b

86 would result in 86h*^g

34 gets 34e#$r

So which password goes with 96 and which with 67?

and why wouldn't I use 28?

Physics news on Phys.org
96n(^m,67t^&y you could not use 2 because @ is not allowed.
In many situations you are restricted to using _ or $ for symbols
in which case your system does not work.

Fair enough, the basic idea is triangle patterns on the keybord.

14kz6o9.jpg

With 4 and 7 find the key below to form a equal triangle, the v, then repeat 4,7 with shift, giving $& and then the key next to the v into the direction of the first two keys, the b. Just to make it not too obvious. Hence with 7 and 4 it would have been the c:

74v&$c

Our system used any key for password inclluding the @, but 28 can not be used because you cannot complete the triangle shape.

Andre said:
I only needed to memorize a two digit number.
Even though your scheme might be useful in defeating the silly password filters, it is also very easy to guess by a password hacker. Your password has very low entropy.

password_strength.png

I understand the importance of strong passwords in protecting sensitive information. The trick to creating a strong password is to make it complex and unpredictable. This means using a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters, as well as avoiding easily guessable patterns or personal information.

In this scenario, the suggested method of using a two-digit number to create a password is a good way to make it more complex. By adding a combination of letters and special characters to the number, you are creating a unique and strong password that would be difficult for hackers to crack.

The reason why 28 is not a good option for a password is because it only contains two digits and does not meet the requirement of at least one letter and one special character. Additionally, it is important to avoid using the same password multiple times, as this makes it easier for hackers to access multiple accounts if they are able to crack one password.

In conclusion, the trick to creating a strong password is to make it complex and unpredictable by using a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters. By following this method, you can ensure the security of your personal and professional information.

Related to How can you create strong and secure passwords?

1. What makes a strong password?

A strong password is typically at least 8 characters long and includes a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. It should also not contain easily guessable information such as your name or birthdate.

2. Should I use the same password for multiple accounts?

No, it is not recommended to use the same password for multiple accounts. If one account is compromised, it puts all of your other accounts at risk. It is best to use unique passwords for each account.

3. How often should I change my password?

It is a good practice to change your password every 3-6 months, especially for important accounts such as banking or email. If you suspect your password has been compromised, you should change it immediately.

4. Can I write down my passwords?

It is generally not advised to write down your passwords as it increases the risk of them being stolen or accessed by someone else. If you must write them down, ensure they are kept in a secure location and not easily accessible by others.

5. What is two-factor authentication?

Two-factor authentication is an extra layer of security for your accounts. It requires you to provide a second form of identification, such as a code sent to your phone, in addition to your password. This makes it more difficult for hackers to access your account even if they have your password.