How can we compare the jumping abilities of different fish species?

• Thread starter chasely
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of comparing the jumping abilities of different fish species is to gain a better understanding of their physical capabilities and adaptations. Scientists use specialized equipment and mathematical models to measure and analyze these abilities. Factors such as size, weight, and environmental conditions can affect a fish's jumping ability. Some fish species, such as the Atlantic salmon and silver carp, are known for their exceptional jumping abilities. The results of these comparisons can be used in practical applications such as designing structures for fish navigation, improving fish farming techniques, and informing conservation efforts.
chasely
Thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Chase and I will be a senior at a mid-sized university in Michigan this coming year. I'm a clinical exercise science major, which involves a good deal of physiology and exercise prescription.

What exactly am I doing on a physics forum then? Well I took my "Physics for dummies" class last winter, as part of my major, and I fell in love with it.

I was never a good student during high school, but am doing much better now that I have found some direction. My goals now are to complete my current major (I only have 5 classes and an internship left). However, I will be studying as much mathematics, physics, and engineering that I can during my last 4 semesters.

I hope to enter into the mechanical engineering realm working with biomechanics and possibly robotic design. I'm lucky that my university has a lot of student organizations, robotics being one of them. I plan to join it in the fall to help build my knowledge of electronic and mechanical engineering.

I hope to get a Masters in mechanical engineering. I know that there aren't many options for an undergrad without an engineering degree, but I'm currently looking at Boston University's LEAP program, which offers a Masters in Science for engineering for undergrads not holding an engineering degree.

I'm currently studying for my university's advanced math placement exam. It covers college level algebra and trigonometry. If I pass the exam, I will be able to enroll in our first semester calculus course.

I feel like I'm getting a really late start on everything, but am happy that I've finally found something that I am excited for.

If I'm not accepted into a Masters program, I plan to get an undergraduate degree in engineering. It will require a lot of extra work, but I'm in the fortunate position of my father being a professor at my university, which gains me 50% tuition.

So, as I'm studying for the advanced math placement test, you may see me post questions here and there about some simple concepts that I need help with. I hope to challenge myself and learn a lot from this forum.

Now it's back to studying,

Chase

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum Chase! It's never too late to go after what you want.

What's your favorite fish, btw?

Welcome to PH, Chase! It's great here - the mentch-to-jerk ratio here is very high :smile: .

Welcome Chase!

Lisa. What is PH? PF High? :confused:

Evo said:
Welcome to the forum Chase! It's never too late to go after what you want.

What's your favorite fish, btw?

Don't know which type of favorite fish you're looking for so I'll give them all.

My favorite fish to eat is salmon...
Favorite fish to catch is smallmouth bass
Favorite aquarium fish is discus

chasely said:
Chase, you are most welcome here, you seem perfect :smile:
Is there any large fish you like, for any purpose ? How about Albacore ?

Kurdt said:
Welcome Chase!

Lisa. What is PH? PF High? :confused:

:redface: :smile:

chasely said:
Don't know which type of favorite fish you're looking for so I'll give them all.

Uhm, actually the type of fish you'd like to get hit with. It's a PF tradition.

Welcome to ~PF Chase! Nice to have you aboard.. A cool place to exchange ideas with a global community. I believe what Evo is referring to is the PF fish welcome. A bit of sillyness for when your head gets too saturated in technical thought.

Thanks for the kind welcome.

If I had to be hit with a fish, I'd choose a perch.

In any case, I've put the mathematics studying on hold while I finish a couple projects for the summer classes that I am taking.

Some really interesting material on this board. I hope there comes a day when I can comprehend most of it!

Welcome to the forum chasely! It's a great place. I know you will enjoy it(at least once the "fishing" ritual is over with).

*backs in dump truck full of perch"

OK everyone grab a perch!:biggrin:

First I need to know why a perch? I mean, why that specific fish for whacking?

Last edited:
GeorginaS said:
First I need to know why a perch? I mean, why that specific fish for whacking?

Deciding on a fish to be whacked with involves some serious thought.

I chose the perch because I have a long history of catching perch with my father, creating a sentimental bond between myself and perch.

Secondly, this being a physics forum, I speculated that a small perch would have less momentum than say, a bass.

Oh good, he's here!

fish2qn4.gif

chasely said:
Secondly, this being a physics forum, I speculated that a small perch would have less momentum than say, a bass.
Well, that does depend on whether or not they have the same velocity, and assuming one is considering a typical perch and typcial bass (which one needs to specify, e.g. freshwater or saltwater, or large mouth or small mouth).

At the same velocity then pbass/pperch is proportional to mbass/mperch, but if the kinetic energies are the same, then

pbass/pperch is proportional to [tex]\sqrt{\frac{m_{bass}}{m_{perch}}}[/tex]

We haven't even touched on color, flavor or charm of the perch either.

Astronuc said:
:smile: :smile: :smile:
What other members belong to the perch multiplet ? And what's the associated gauge group anyway ?

Astronuc said:
Well, that does depend on whether or not they have the same velocity, and assuming one is considering a typical perch and typcial bass (which one needs to specify, e.g. freshwater or saltwater, or large mouth or small mouth).

At the same velocity then pbass/pperch is proportional to mbass/mperch, but if the kinetic energies are the same, then

pbass/pperch is proportional to [tex]\sqrt{\frac{m_{bass}}{m_{perch}}}[/tex]

That was brilliant.

Related to How can we compare the jumping abilities of different fish species?

1. What is the purpose of comparing the jumping abilities of different fish species?

The purpose of comparing the jumping abilities of different fish species is to gain a better understanding of the physical capabilities and adaptations of these aquatic animals. This information can also be used to evaluate the impact of environmental factors on fish jumping abilities and to inform conservation efforts.

2. How do scientists measure the jumping abilities of fish?

Scientists typically use specialized equipment such as high-speed cameras and force sensors to measure the height, distance, and speed of a fish's jump. They may also use computer simulations and mathematical models to analyze the mechanics of the jump.

3. What factors can affect a fish's jumping ability?

There are several factors that can affect a fish's jumping ability, including its size, weight, muscle strength, and body shape. Environmental factors such as water temperature, salinity, and current can also impact a fish's ability to jump.

4. Are there any fish species that are known for having exceptional jumping abilities?

Yes, there are several fish species that are known for their impressive jumping abilities. Some examples include the Atlantic salmon, which can jump up to 12 feet in the air, and the silver carp, which can jump up to 10 feet high and 30 feet in distance.

5. How can the results of a jumping ability comparison be used in practical applications?

The results of a jumping ability comparison can be used in various practical applications, such as designing fish ladders and other structures to assist fish in navigating obstacles, improving fish farming techniques, and understanding the impact of human activities on fish populations. This information can also be used to inform fishing regulations and conservation efforts.