How can we calculate the power of a heating element?

In summary, this person is asking for advice on how to safely build a pressure cooker that can heat water to a boiling point.
Bhisma Thapa
To be more specific, if i have to heat water 300l of water in one hour. What should the power of a heating coil?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bhisma Thapa said:
To be more specific, if i have to heat water 300l of water in one hour. What should the power of a heating coil?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What are the starting and final temperatures? Do you need to boil it, or just heat it to a warmer temperature?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What are the starting and final temperatures? Do you need to boil it, or just heat it to a warmer temperature?
Starting temp will be at room temperature.I need it for boiling.

Bhisma Thapa said:
Starting temp will be at room temperature.I need it for boiling.
This calculator will help you figure out how much energy and power are required to heat your water from room temperature to just short of boiling:

https://bloglocation.com/art/water-heating-calculator-for-time-energy-power

After that, it depends on whether you want to actually boil off the water, or keep it boiling for some period of time. Also, unless your container is perfectly insulated, you will lose some energy to the surroundings...

Can you say more about the application?

Likes Bhisma Thapa and Asymptotic
Bhisma Thapa said:
What should the power of a heating coil?
Power is the rate of energy flow. You must deliver energy at a rate greater than the heat loss by all processes over all temperatures.
How quickly do you need to heat the water?
How well insulated is the tank?

berkeman said:
This calculator will help you figure out how much energy and power are required to heat your water from room temperature to just short of boiling:

https://bloglocation.com/art/water-heating-calculator-for-time-energy-power

After that, it depends on whether you want to actually boil off the water, or keep it boiling for some period of time. Also, unless your container is perfectly insulated, you will lose some energy to the surroundings...

Can you say more about the application?
Thanks.
It will be used like a pressurized electrical cooker.

Bhisma Thapa said:

Be careful and very vigilant about safety. It takes only one mistake to turn a pressure cooker into a bomb able to kill everyone in the room.

Likes jim hardy and berkeman
Bhisma Thapa said:
anorlunda said:
Be careful and very vigilant about safety. It takes only one mistake to turn a pressure cooker into a bomb able to kill everyone in the room.
Agreed.

@Bhisma Thapa -- please send me a private message (click on my avatar and select "Start a Conversation") to explain your technical background and your project in detail. This thread will remain locked until we can figure out the level of danger in your project. Thank you.

Likes jim hardy

Related to How can we calculate the power of a heating element?

1. How do we determine the wattage of a heating element?

The wattage of a heating element can be determined by multiplying the voltage across the element by the current flowing through it. This is known as Ohm's Law, where Power (P) = Voltage (V) x Current (I). The resulting unit will be in watts (W).

2. Can we calculate the power of a heating element without knowing the voltage or current?

No, the voltage and current are essential components in determining the power of a heating element. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the wattage.

3. How can we measure the voltage and current of a heating element?

The voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the electrical potential difference between two points. The current can be measured using an ammeter, which measures the flow of electric current in a circuit. Both of these devices are commonly found in multimeters.

4. Is the power rating of a heating element fixed or can it change?

The power rating of a heating element is typically fixed and depends on its design and materials. However, if the voltage or current changes, the power output may also change accordingly. It is important to stay within the manufacturer's recommended voltage and current range to prevent damage to the heating element.

5. How does the power of a heating element affect its heating capabilities?

The power of a heating element directly affects its heating capabilities. A higher power rating means the element can produce more heat and reach higher temperatures. However, it also means it will consume more energy. It is important to choose a heating element with an appropriate power rating for your specific needs to achieve optimal heating efficiency.