Thermally Self-Regulating System Setup

• Thread starter jamestyler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the system needs to generate friction heat from its servo motor to heat up an enclosed chamber to 500 'Celsius .
jamestyler
TL;DR Summary
Goal : to build a high torque system that is capable to self-regulate thermal dissipation through frictional heat to heat up test samples
I would like to design a system that is capable of generating frictional heat through its servo motor to heat up an enclosed chamber to 500 'Celsius . The challenge is that external heating source such as heating element, heat chamber etc. shall not be included in the design setup. Assuming that the rotor works at a speed of 1000 rpm, what is the torque needed so that the resulting frictional heat could heat the chamber from 30'Celsius to 500'Celsius?

I tried to make some simple calculations by correlating the three formulae below but the value I got doesn't really make any sense:
1) Continuous power (kW) = (2*pi*RPM*Torque)/60000
2) Power = Energy / time
3) Energy (thermal) = mass * specific heat capacity * temperature change

Did I calculate it correctly or it is not so straight forward?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome, jamestyler! :cool:

You can convert all mechanical work into heat.
It is that heat the energy that later will try to escape from your enclosure into its surroundings.
How much of that you can keep inside is what will increase the internal temperature.

If the natural heat transfer is excessive, you will never reach your goal temperature.
If insulation is sufficient, you will need a control system that stops or slows your wheel down when your goal temperature is reached, in such a way that you only generate enough to compensate for the outwards transfer.

The amount of torque and the rpm's will depend on how quickly you want to make the internal temperature reach the goal.
You can do it with good insulation and a slow-weak wheel (slow generation and accumulation of mechanical energy and heat), or with a strong and fast wheel.

Energy conversion is the credit side of the problem, but you need to analyse the deficit side of the energy budget.

1. What is the thermal resistance in watts/°C of the chamber insulation. That will tell you how much power is being lost, or is required to hold the temperature stable. It also gives you the increasing rate of heat loss as heating progresses, and the maximum temperature possible.

2. What is the thermal capacity of the insulated chamber, measured in joules/°C. That determines how much energy is needed to heat the contents. Are there any material phase changes expected in the samples that will require an energy input, such as evaporating water?

Likes Lnewqban
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
jamestyler said:
to heat up an enclosed chamber to 500 'Celsius . The challenge is that external heating source such as heating element, heat chamber etc. shall not be included in the design setup.
Why is that a design constraint? Sounds pretty strange to me at first glance.

Is this an artificial schoolwork assignment, or a practical design problem and you plan to build and test this?

Likes essenmein
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Why is that a design constraint? Sounds pretty strange to me at first glance.

Is this an artificial schoolwork assignment, or a practical design problem and you plan to build and test this?

Yeah, esp when you consider a heating element (electrical) is simply a device the converts electrical energy into thermal energy (heat). The mechanical system proposed, is conceptually identical, ie a device that converts mechanical energy into thermal energy, ie you could argue that this is still a heating element!

Heating things from 30C to 500C is not an uncommon requirement, and the most effective way we have to achieve this is with electrical heating or fire, I can't imagine a friction device being better than those, other wise we'd be using them industrially!

essenmein said:
I can't imagine a friction device being better than those, other wise we'd be using them industrially!
Friction welding is used to join pipeline sections.

Baluncore said:
Friction welding is used to join pipeline sections.

Friction welding is used all over the place, wirebonding for example is a type friction welding.

Although I'm not sure friction is the best way to heat a curing oven for example.

Related to Thermally Self-Regulating System Setup

1. What is a thermally self-regulating system setup?

A thermally self-regulating system setup is a system that is designed to maintain a constant temperature without the need for external controls. It uses materials that have the ability to regulate their own temperature based on the surrounding environment.

2. How does a thermally self-regulating system work?

A thermally self-regulating system works by using materials that have a negative temperature coefficient, meaning that their resistance decreases as temperature increases. As the temperature rises, the resistance of the material decreases, allowing more current to flow and generating heat. This heat then causes the material to increase in resistance, reducing the current flow and balancing out the temperature.

3. What are the benefits of using a thermally self-regulating system setup?

There are several benefits to using a thermally self-regulating system setup, including energy efficiency, cost savings, and increased safety. These systems only use the amount of energy needed to maintain a constant temperature, reducing energy waste. They also eliminate the need for external controls, saving on installation and maintenance costs. Additionally, they are safer as they do not overheat or pose a fire hazard.

4. What are some common applications of thermally self-regulating systems?

Thermally self-regulating systems are commonly used in heating and cooling applications, such as in buildings, vehicles, and electronic devices. They are also used in industrial settings for process heating, as well as in medical equipment and aerospace technology.

5. Are there any limitations to using a thermally self-regulating system setup?

While thermally self-regulating systems have many benefits, they do have some limitations. They are not suitable for high-temperature applications as the materials used may not be able to withstand extreme heat. They also require a power source to function, so they may not be suitable for off-grid or remote locations.