How Can Video Technology Help with 3D Linear Motion Detection?

In summary, the conversation is about creating a 3D linear motion detection system using 3 base stations and a triangulation algorithm to track the displacement of a ball. The person is seeking advice on what devices to use and if there is already an existing algorithm for this task. They also mention that using video cameras and software may be a simpler option.
Lagomorph
Hi,
I need to make a 3d linear motion detection system for, oh... say a ball. I was thinking of setting up 3 small base stations that would ping something inside the ball and would be wired to a microcontroller that would use a triangulation algorithm to figure out the displacement of the ball along the 3 axes.

I know that this isn't a new problem and that the devices to do this should exist.

- Does anyone out there know what devices I should be looking for to construct this thing?
- Does anyone know if there is already an existing triangulation algorithm for such a task?
- Any other comments / suggestions?

I'll take any help I can get. I have incredibly stringent deadlines. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In today's world, the simplest and best way is video. Use one or more video cameras and software to analyze the images.

Likes Tom.G

Related to How Can Video Technology Help with 3D Linear Motion Detection?

What is 3D linear motion detection?

3D linear motion detection is a scientific method used to track and measure movement in three-dimensional space. It involves using specialized sensors and algorithms to detect and record an object's position, velocity, and acceleration along a linear path.

How does 3D linear motion detection work?

3D linear motion detection works by using a combination of sensors, such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, and magnetometers, to measure an object's movement in three dimensions. These sensors collect data, which is then processed by algorithms to determine the object's position, velocity, and acceleration.

What are the applications of 3D linear motion detection?

3D linear motion detection has a wide range of applications, including robotics, virtual and augmented reality, sports analytics, and human movement analysis. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and healthcare for monitoring and tracking movement in various systems and equipment.

What are the advantages of using 3D linear motion detection?

One of the main advantages of 3D linear motion detection is its high accuracy and precision in tracking and measuring movement. It also provides real-time data and can be used in various environments and conditions. Additionally, it is non-invasive and can be easily integrated into different systems and devices.

Are there any limitations to 3D linear motion detection?

While 3D linear motion detection has many benefits, it also has some limitations. One of the main limitations is its sensitivity to external factors such as vibrations, magnetic fields, and temperature changes, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, it requires specialized equipment and expertise, making it more costly compared to other methods of motion detection.