How can the momentum be non-zero if the probability current density is zero?

In summary, in One-dimensional examples from Bransden and Joachain, it is stated that for free particle solutions, when |A| = |B|, the probability current density is equal to 0. This is because the standing wave can be associated with a free particle along the x-axis with a momentum of magnitude p=ћk, but the direction is unknown. However, this raises confusion as to how momentum can be non-zero when the probability current density is 0. In the case of A=0 or B=0, there is a precise momentum value of p=ћk and j=vP where P is the probability. In the example of a potential step, j=0 everywhere, leading to
neelakash
I am reading One-dimensional examples from Bransden and Joachain.For the free particle solutions:Ψ=A exp [i(kx-ωt)] +B exp [–i(kx+ωt)]
they say that for |A|=|B|,the probability current density=0.This is OK.Then they say we can associate the standing wave with a free particle along the x-axis with a momentum whose magnitude is p=ћk but the direction is unknown...

My problem is I cannot understand what they say regarding momentum.If j=0,how can momentum be non-zero?

In fact, if A=0 or, B=0 I can see there is a momentum of precise value p=ћk.There j is non-zero and j=vP where P is the probability...

Also, in the very next example of a potential step they show j=0 everywhere and concludes that no net momentum in the state...

I tried to solve the problem by thinking that in the latter case, j=0 for the entire state.So, by conservation of momentum, p=0 everywhere...

But in the former case, j is not zero everywhere.So, p must conserve its non-zero value...!Or, may be that They meant momentum direction is unknown as there is no net momentum in free particle if |A|=|B|?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me approach mathematically:

Ψ=A exp [i(kx-ωt)] +B exp [–i(kx+ωt)]

For A=B, Ψ=C cos kx exp(-iωt)

Operating this with momentum operator,we are getting
-(ћk/i) C sin(kx) exp(-iωt)

Sin and cos differ by a phase factor only...

So,momentum value matches...and the direction is "unknown" for the "i"...

what about the potential step?

If the two terms are present, then your particle is in a superposition of having momentum +hbar k and momentum - hbar k.

This is the momentum equivalent of being in a superposition of positions (like the wavefunction indicates you).

Related to How can the momentum be non-zero if the probability current density is zero?

What is a free particle?

A free particle is a type of particle that is not influenced by any external forces or interactions. It has a constant velocity and can move freely in space.

How is a free particle described in physics?

In physics, a free particle is described as having a wave-like behavior, with its position and momentum being governed by the Schrödinger equation. Its energy is also described by the quantum mechanical Hamiltonian.

What are the key properties of a free particle?

The key properties of a free particle include its mass, position, momentum, and energy. It also has no interactions with other particles or external forces.

Can a free particle exist in reality?

In classical physics, a free particle can exist in reality. However, in quantum mechanics, a truly free particle is a theoretical concept and does not exist in reality due to the uncertainty principle.

How is the concept of a free particle used in practical applications?

The concept of a free particle is used in various practical applications, such as in the study of particle physics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. It is also used in the development of technologies such as lasers and semiconductors.