Free particle propagation: paradox?

In summary, the free particle propagator matrix element is given by (see p. 153): \left(\frac{m}{2\pi\hbar it}\right)^{1/2} e^{im(x-x')^2/2m\hbar}
Kostik
Shankar ("Principles of Quantum Mechanics", 2nd ed.) shows that the free particle propagator "matrix element" is given by (see p. 153):

## \qquad \langle x | U(t) | x' \rangle = U(x,t;x') = \left(\frac{m}{2\pi\hbar it}\right)^{1/2} e^{im(x-x')^2/2m\hbar} ##,

which can be used to evaluate the evolution of the particle's wavefunction in time, starting from its initial wavefunction:

## \qquad \psi(x,t) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty U(x,t;x') \, \psi(x',0) \, dx'##

But there is an alternate formulation:

## \qquad \psi(x,t) = \langle x | U(t) |\psi(0)\rangle = \langle x | e^{-iHt/\hbar} |\psi(0)\rangle = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n!} \left(\frac{i\hbar t}{2m} \right)^n \frac{d^{2n}}{dx^{2n}} \, \psi(x) \qquad\qquad (\star) ##

He shows (p. 154-5) that if the initial wavefunction ##\psi(x,0)## is a Gaussian, then it spreads out in time, and explains why.

Exercise 5.1.4 (p. 156) gives a somewhat unsatisfying example of an initial wavefunction supported on the interval ##[-L/2, L/2]## (i.e., identically zero outside this interval). Hence a "paradox" using the ##(\star)## form of the propagator, because clearly all derivatives are zero outside the interval, so the wavefunction cannot spread in time (paradox). But the example given is discontinuous at the endpoints of the interval, so the derivatives do not exist.

But what if the initial wavefunction is the function

## \qquad \psi(x,0) =
\begin{cases}
e^{-1/(1-x^2)} & |x|<1 \\
0 & |x| \geq 1
\end{cases}
##

(I have not normalized ##\psi##, but never mind.) This function is supported on ##[-1, 1]## (identically zero outside the interval) and has infinitely many continuous derivatives on ##(-\infty, \infty)##.

I would not know how to tackle this scary-looking integral:

## \qquad \psi(x,t) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty U(x,t;x') \, \psi(x',0) \, dx'##

## \qquad = \left(\frac{m}{2\pi\hbar it}\right)^{1/2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{im(x-x')^2/2m\hbar} \, \psi(x',0) \, dx' ##

## \qquad = \left(\frac{m}{2\pi\hbar it}\right)^{1/2} \int_{-1}^1 e^{im(x-x')^2/2m\hbar} e^{-1/(1-x'^2)} \, dx'##

BUT it does seem clear that using the alternative form ##(\star)##

## \qquad \psi(x,t) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n!} \left(\frac{i\hbar t}{2m} \right)^n \frac{d^{2n}}{dx^{2n}} \psi(x,0)##

that ## \psi(x,t) ## continues to be supported within ##[-1, 1]##. In other words, ## \psi(x,t) ## never spreads outside the interval ##[-1, 1]##!

Is this not a paradox? There must be uncertainty in the initial velocity (momentum), which should result in a growing uncertainty in the position with increasing time. Yet the particle remains inside ##[-1, 1]## forever!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Green's function you quote is for a free particle. Regardless of what the initial state is, you cannot use the free particle Green's function for an infinite square well because it is not a Green's function of the problem you are trying to solve.

From what I can see he is not talking about a particle in a square well but a free particle with the initial wavepacket given by the function he wrote.

andresb - exactly right.

Ok, so instead we are dealing with a situation where you expect he wave function to be completely given by its value and its derivatives in one point. This is not true for the function you have given, the series will only be a solution to the Schrödinger equation if it converges uniformly, which I strongly suspect it does not.

I'm sorry I don't understand your comment. Can you please rephrase with more clarity?

Related to Free particle propagation: paradox?

1. What is the free particle propagation paradox?

The free particle propagation paradox refers to a theoretical problem in quantum mechanics where a free particle is observed to have a non-zero probability of being found at any point in space, even if it has a definite momentum. This is contradictory to classical mechanics, where the position and momentum of a particle can be precisely determined.

2. How is this paradox resolved?

This paradox is resolved by the principles of quantum mechanics, which state that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously known with certainty, and the probability of finding a particle at a certain location is described by a wave function.

3. What is the role of the uncertainty principle in this paradox?

The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to how precisely the position and momentum of a particle can be known at the same time. This principle is crucial in understanding the free particle propagation paradox, as it explains why we cannot have exact knowledge of the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.

4. Can the free particle propagation paradox be observed in experiments?

Yes, the free particle propagation paradox has been observed in various experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles. Other experiments involving the measurement of a particle's momentum and position also support the principles of quantum mechanics and the existence of this paradox.

5. What implications does this paradox have for our understanding of the physical world?

The free particle propagation paradox challenges our classical understanding of the physical world and highlights the limitations of our current theories. It also raises questions about the nature of reality and the role of observation in shaping our understanding of the universe. This paradox has led to the development of new theories and interpretations in quantum mechanics, which continue to be an area of active research.