Why Might Dirac Bilinears Not Zero Out for Non-Diagonal Components?

• Thread starter grelade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dirac
In summary, the calculation of the Dirac bilinear for solutions of the Dirac equation in the form without exp() and using the contracted 2 dimensional convection should not result in a zero value for \mu\neq\nu. This is because the particles described by the Dirac equation have a non-zero spin tensor, which contributes to the non-zero value of the bilinear. It is important to double-check calculations and seek feedback to ensure accurate results.
grelade
Hi,

I have free solutions of Dirac equation in the form (without exp(), i also use the contracted 2 dimensional convection ):

for r=1,2 [tex]E=E_p[/tex]

[tex]
\omega^{r=1,2}(\vec{p}) = N \[ \left( \begin{array}{c}
\phi_r \\
\phi_r c \frac{\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{p}}{E_p + mc^2} \end{array} \right)\]
[/tex]

r=3,4 [tex]E=-E_p[/tex]

[tex]
\omega^{r=3,4}(\vec{p}) = N \[ \left( \begin{array}{c}
\phi_r c \frac{\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{p}}{E_p + mc^2} \\
\phi_r \end{array} \right)\]
[/tex]

I want to calculate one of Dirac bilinears (antisymmetric tensor) for these solutions, namely:

[tex]b^{\mu\nu}_r = \bar{\omega}^r(\vec{p}) \sigma^{\mu\nu}\omega^r(\vec{p}) [/tex]

where
[tex]\sigma^{\mu\nu} = i/2 \left[\gamma^\mu, \gamma^\nu \right] [/tex]

On lectures it was said that it would be zero. However, i couldn't zero it out for [tex]\mu \neq \nu[/tex]. My calculations goes like this (for now i will post only case [tex]b^{j0}, j=1,2,3[/tex]):
[tex]b^{j0}_r = \bar{\omega}^r(\vec{p}) \sigma^{j0}\omega^r(\vec{p}) = i\omega^{r+}\gamma^0\gamma^j\gamma^0\omega^{r} = -i\omega^{r+}\gamma^j\omega^{r}[/tex]
Now, for r=1,2 i put explicit matrices:
[tex]= i N^2 \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}
\phi_r^+ & \phi_r^+ c \frac{\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{p}}{E_p + mc^2} \end{array} \right)\] \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}
0 & -\sigma_j \\
-\sigma_j & 0 \end{array} \right)\] \[ \left( \begin{array}{c}
\phi_r \\
\phi_r c \frac{\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{p}}{E_p + mc^2} \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]
This gives:
[tex]= -i N^2 (\phi_r^+ \frac{\sigma_j \sigma_i p^i}{E_p+mc^2}\phi_r - \phi_r^+ \frac{\sigma_i \sigma_j p^i}{E_p + mc^2}\phi_r) = -i N^2 (\phi_r^+ \frac{\left [\sigma_j, \sigma_i \right] p^i}{E_p+mc^2}\phi_r)[/tex]
Commutator of Pauli matrices:
[tex]\left [\sigma_j,\sigma_i \right] = 2i \epsilon_{jik}\sigma_k[/tex]
So after inserting this we have something like this:
[tex]= \frac{2 N^2\epsilon_{jik}\sigma_k p^i}{E_p + mc^2} [/tex]
Unfortunately i cannot find any reason why this should be zero. Maybe someone could help me by telling what is wrong or tell that it shouldn't be zero in the first place?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your solutions and calculations with us. Based on my understanding of the Dirac equation and bilinears, I believe that your calculation is correct and that the result should not be zero. This is because the Dirac equation and its solutions describe the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. These particles have intrinsic angular momentum and thus have a non-zero value for their spin tensor. Therefore, the bilinear you are calculating should also have a non-zero value for \mu\neq\nu, as long as the solutions you are using accurately describe the spin state of the particle.

In fact, the non-zero value of this bilinear is important for understanding the behavior of fermions in electromagnetic fields, as it contributes to the magnetic moment of the particle. I would recommend double-checking your calculations and seeking feedback from your peers or a professor to confirm your results. Keep up the good work!

Related to Why Might Dirac Bilinears Not Zero Out for Non-Diagonal Components?

1. What are Dirac bilinears?

Dirac bilinears are mathematical objects used in quantum field theory to describe the interactions between particles. They are constructed from the Dirac spinors, which represent the fundamental building blocks of matter.

2. How are Dirac bilinears calculated?

Dirac bilinears can be calculated by taking the product of two Dirac spinors and applying the appropriate gamma matrices. The resulting expression is usually a combination of spinors and gamma matrices, which can be simplified using the properties of these mathematical objects.

3. What is the significance of Dirac bilinears in physics?

Dirac bilinears play a crucial role in quantum field theory as they describe the interactions between particles. They are used to calculate physical observables, such as scattering amplitudes, and are essential for understanding the behavior of particles at a fundamental level.

4. Can Dirac bilinears be used to describe all particle interactions?

No, Dirac bilinears are only used to describe interactions between particles that have spin, such as electrons and quarks. They cannot be used to describe interactions between particles that do not have spin, such as photons.

5. How do Dirac bilinears relate to the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of particles with spin. Dirac bilinears are constructed from the Dirac spinors, which are solutions to the Dirac equation. This makes them an important tool for studying the properties and behavior of particles with spin.